The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   My 3 yr old QH filly... what do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/my-3-yr-old-qh-filly-141387/)

Emilyplustwo 10-23-2012 05:51 PM

My 3 yr old QH filly... what do you think?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! This is Marley, my 3 yr old QH filly. She is by far one of the sweetest horses I have ever met, and is extremely athletic. She was a rescue, a year ago you wouldn't even have recognized her! She has put on close to 400 pounds and about a hand and a half so far... But I am just wondering what y'all think of her confirmation? I know she is a little long backed, and slightly camped out, but is the camped out just because she is growing or will that be a permanent thing? Anyone know??
Thanks for looking!

tinyliny 10-23-2012 06:05 PM

well, she is camped out, just like you said. I don't know if it will go away with more growth, or if it's a remainder of being nutritionally compormised when young and growing fast.

She has a lovely neck and shoulder, nice front legs and good bone all around. her color is neat and her perky expression is adorable.

Emilyplustwo 10-23-2012 07:30 PM

Before shots

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo from the day I bought here, just for comparison. It isn't a good confirmation shot, but you can definitely tell how bad she looked in the beginning!

alexis rose 10-23-2012 07:37 PM

I don't know all the terms yet. What does camped out mean? :oops:

Emilyplustwo 10-23-2012 07:48 PM

camped out is if you take a line from the end of their hindquarters where it makes the furthest point and drop it straight down, the back of their hock and cannon should be flush with that line when they are standing straight (if that makes sense! haha) ... if when they are standing balanced, their hind legs come out from behind that line, they are referred to as "camped out"... if underneath it, it is called "camped under"... if you google image it there are some diagrams that will show you, if you're interested ;)

Elana 10-24-2012 10:46 AM

From the end of her rib cage forward she is a very nice little horse. From the last rib on back.. nost so much. The biggest issue is her lack of rear end for the breed. If she had a real QH rear end she would be very nice indeed. I wish her hocks were a bit lower.

I cannot say she is camped out OR in.. she is standing crooked. She actually seems to have decent angles to her hind leg. I also find her coupling.. the area just ahead of the peak of croup.. to be a bit long and weak.

IF her coupling were shorter, her peak of croup further forward with a longer hip and more muscling/just plain size to her hind quarters, she would be a really good horse.

That being said.. there is something about this horse that I like and I wonder how she would do working on stock. You might have a gem here.. see what she thinks of cattle.