The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Now I did it.. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/now-i-did-14139/)

Moxie 08-30-2008 10:07 PM

Now I did it..

I hyper extended my knee. I actually bent it backward like 3 times. I took a flying leap off of my deck to try and catch my yellow lab, I took a few steps, and lost my footing, my knee bent BACKWARD.. I took a few MORE steps, it went backward again... and repeated one more time before I finally fell. Needless to say my day/weekend is shot.

Anyone ever have this type of injury? It HURTS SO BAD. Obviously I've had it up, and am icing it.. blehh.. I haven't been to the dr. yet, but I'm sure thats next.

DashAwayAll 08-31-2008 06:18 AM

You have two sets of ligaments that prevent you from looking like a flamingo. ( their knees bend the other way.) Not to mention assorted muscles and tendons that won't like it very much.

Sounds like you hyper extended them.I would take Ibuprofen or Aleeve as the bottle says IF YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC for several days. Not only for the pain, but because they are anti-inflammatory drugs. Keep icing thirty minutes on, thirty off. For a 24 - 48 hours hours. Use a towel or wash rag around the baggie of ice. Direct contact isn't important. Keep your knee slightly elevated on a pillow and STAY OFF IT for several days.

jazzyrider 08-31-2008 06:30 AM

i hyper extended my elbow once. very painful indeed. dash said it all so i wont elaborate :) just make everyone else get everything for you while you rest up ;)

FutureVetGirl 08-31-2008 08:18 AM

I haven't had it hurt... though for me it happens all the time. The ligaments in my legs are VERY flexible and stretchy... so I stand all the time with my legs bent backwards... my parents don't like it... but it's the easiest way to stand for me... :P

Moxie 08-31-2008 09:01 AM

I've been taking Ibuprofen like it's goin out of style. I guess I'll have to dig up my crutches... I am so accident prone, last time I try to catch that darn dog!!!!

Thanks everyone!

My2Geldings 08-31-2008 01:08 PM

Ice and anti-inflammatories is the only thing you can do at this point. I would stay off of it until you see a doctor.

Gingerrrrr 08-31-2008 08:13 PM

GOOD JOB! GOOD FREAKIN JOB MOXIE!! :lol: hope you get better soon. does that mean you cant ride? :(

Moxie 08-31-2008 10:23 PM

Yea, counting this next week, that'll make like 3 weeks without riding. I already emailed my instructor and told her what happened, and that I don't know when I'll be returning to ride. I really miss her ponies.

buckaroo2010 09-01-2008 01:58 PM

I'm sorry to hear that moxie :(

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-02-2008 02:40 AM

lol moxie we should have the moxie and kansas_twister club for accident prone people.......broke my foot in january answering the phone.....5 weeks before jacob was born.......2 weeks ago went to feed the horses after dark (no light in the barn) and step on a nail...it went through my foot......i feel for you...hope you get better soon!!