The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fits-everyone saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fits-everyone-saddle-141404/)

PunksTank 10-23-2012 08:27 PM

Fits-everyone saddle

Hey everyone ^^ You all probably know me and my monster mare Tank.
She's got a back shaped much like a coffee table and so I'm having trouble finding a saddle that fits her. I know there are a number of treeless saddle varieties, but I also know those have sizes and aren't a cure-all for tough-to-fit horses. But I'm curious if anyone knows any good saddle choices for rotund horses xD
Honestly I'm broke, so it's gotta be cheap or have a cheap knock-off alternative that's equally decent.
I like as close-contact as possible, I typically ride bareback, but as she gets along in her training I want my riding to be perfect for her to learn correctly. She's had saddle on her back and she's been great for them, but none have fit even remotely close. So she's never been ridden in a saddle.

Thank everyone :D

Saddlebag 10-23-2012 10:31 PM

Punk, google horsesaddleshop and look for their templates (3). Download and print them. Choose the one you think is closest. Cut out carefully. It is half a measure. Put it on cardboard, turn the paper over and trace it again. This give you a measurement for the horse and one for the saddle. If the wide doesn't fit, good luck as I'm going thro that myself. Sometimes a semi will fit because of the angles. A rawhide covered tree fits differently from a Ralide.

PunksTank 10-23-2012 10:50 PM

I'll ty using that one, but i did one o those measurement things before said she'd fit in full quarter horse bars, borrowed a big western saddle from my friend that she said was full qh bars for her bull dog qh, but it weged into her shoulders, not sure how to better describe that. But i'd also prefer an english close contact or all purpose saddle than western, what tree size would equal a full qh bars in english? Or something wider than that even? This is why i was thinking of just using a treeless one built for wide bodied horses. She's built like a fjord, a tiny draft horse, but she's not just flat on top, she even has a valley along her spine from being so fat. She's working on loosing weight but it's slow-going. Which is another reason i was thinking of somethjng more flexible. I guess i'm wondering if there's something thats sort of a cross between a bb pad and a treeless saddle, the stabilty of a saddle, but flexibility of a pad xD i may be asking for too much though- especially in my price range ^^
Posted via Mobile Device

aspin231 10-24-2012 02:50 AM

The thorowgood brand makes an extra-wide gullet plate for their adjustable gullet saddles, and wintec has a wide range of saddle with it's own set of gullet plates as well, made specifically for very wide horses. Both brands have good customer service and could probably help you find a saddle to fit, if they make one wide enough!

SorrelHorse 10-24-2012 03:54 AM

Could always try finding a draft saddle if she's THAT huge.

poppy1356 10-24-2012 09:52 AM

Wintec | All Purpose

Seriously consider this. You cannot take western bars and translate it to an english sizing. Since the bars can varry between makers you really have to just go by actual measurements.

Plus you have to take into account rock, which you will want none of. You will want a practically flat saddle.

Thorogood might make one wide enough but I would go with Wintec Wide before them.

You will most likely have to go with a draft saddle.

PunksTank 10-24-2012 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone - I have seen wintec's wides and all I just can't afford those - no stores have them near me so I can't try them on I'd have to go through getting it and sending it back a bunch till I found the one that fit right. xD I was hoping there'd be some cheap piece of magic out there :P

poppy1356 10-24-2012 11:29 AM

Wintec wide is a wintec wide, no need to try different ones. Ebay has them.
Wintec Wide All Purpose Saddle Brown 17 5" | eBay

$399 is pretty darn cheap for a new saddle.

deserthorsewoman 10-24-2012 11:31 AM

And if you go with a BB until she comes a bit closer to ideal weight? That'll give you the possibility to save up some money(yeah, right, saving up money with horses) to get something better quality and fit.
No need really to buy a saddle that fits now just to look for another one three months down the road when she is fitter.

deserthorsewoman 10-24-2012 11:31 AM

Double post, oops