The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   OTTB In Hand Class (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/ottb-hand-class-141418/)

beccalovesherhorse 10-23-2012 10:12 PM

OTTB In Hand Class

Ok so me and my OTTB are going to our first show this Saturday! It's a show just for OTTB a we're doing the In Hand class- has anyone ever been to or competed in the In Hand class for OTTB's? What should we expect? Any tips/suggestions? He walk/trots and stands really nicely for me (we're both going to be nervous of course though!).

Also I was told that we're going showing in a bridle and not a halter and lead rope but I don't know if that's the case. The brochure was also VERY vague about rules and such for the In Hand class. Actually, it didn't say anything about it..

Oh and what should I wear?!
Posted via Mobile Device

justashowmom 10-26-2012 09:40 AM

First - for you, wear show clothes, and your helmet.

I did an in hand obstacle class with my OTTB last year. He showed in his bridle and no other tack. We had to walk, trot, back up around stuff, go over a "bridge", halt, trot over poles, etc. It was great fun.

Good luck!

LizNicole520 10-26-2012 07:08 PM

In hand covers a number of classes.. you can do a halter, showmanship, trail/obstacle. etc. English or Western. Makes a difference in what to do or what to wear. Do you have anymore details for the class?

beccalovesherhorse 10-27-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justashowmom (Post 1733454)
First - for you, wear show clothes, and your helmet.

I did an in hand obstacle class with my OTTB last year. He showed in his bridle and no other tack. We had to walk, trot, back up around stuff, go over a "bridge", halt, trot over poles, etc. It was great fun.

Good luck!

Literally just came home from this show- I was in a class all by myself and another with only one other person. I only had to walk, trot, and halt once and we came home with a blue ribbon! Oh and we did wear a bridle for this. I wish more people would have came but I still had a great time :)

beccalovesherhorse 10-27-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizNicole520 (Post 1734065)
In hand covers a number of classes.. you can do a halter, showmanship, trail/obstacle. etc. English or Western. Makes a difference in what to do or what to wear. Do you have anymore details for the class?

It literally only listed the classes (geldings, mares, stallions, ect) and nothing else. No rules or anything. We ended up just going in my horse's English bridle, we were the only ones who showed up for the In Hand class anyway!

LizNicole520 11-01-2012 12:58 AM

Sounds like you both got some experience! Even if you are the only one.. it gives you a feel for the class. Since you were the only one dis the judge talk to you? Offer anything for future knowledge?

beccalovesherhorse 11-01-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizNicole520 (Post 1739704)
Sounds like you both got some experience! Even if you are the only one.. it gives you a feel for the class. Since you were the only one dis the judge talk to you? Offer anything for future knowledge?

We did have a very nice experience, esp him since he's really only a baby. The judge told me my horse was very handsome, but that was it.