The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   One person horses?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/one-person-horses-141433/)

paintedpastures 10-24-2012 12:30 AM

One person horses??

I like to think I have had or have a bond with all of my horses i've owned but I guess have felt more/different connection to 2 over the years only because of the extra care & attention they required.Both were timid,reactive souls. Not abused but needed that more special understanding & to develop a trust in people. higher flight instinct I guess.Some may say more 1 person horses which I suppose at beginning was true of them. These 2 developed a trust/bond with me & was able to bring them out of their shell.Had to read them & reassure,yet show leadership.They did developed to healthy well adjusted equines,comfortable around other people & different situations.
Well I don't know if these are actually what one would consider one person horses but special needs yes:wink: The training approach is different with these horses they need a little coddling along the way,that I feel many trainers don't have the time or personality to invest in these type of horses. I think horses truly can read their people & these horses with higher sensitivity can't be pushed but need to have a confident, yet quiet handler :-). A handler that can read their insecurities ,give reasurrance & diffuse the tension before it can escalate,that is when they come unglued,come out from underneath you!:lol:
My one boy is still a work in progress but is coming out of his shell & I have high hopes for him. Worked him today & got some video footage. Bad day for riding as it was pretty cool:-( frozen ground,chilled rider & fact that he hasn't been ridden in weeks didn't help.Felt he was tense & hesitant in his movement,he works more freely when more relaxed but considering the day & not having regular riding I figured he handled himself ok:-). Sorry didn't have someone to video me so hard to try keep in the field of vision for camera:lol:

Feel like our progress has been slow. I started Groundwork with him as a 3 yr then he was left for the winter & I resumed his ground work in spring & got him to point that he accepted a rider on his back,but just at a walk in the round pen. at this point I sent him to a trainer I had used in past that had started horses for me>thought having him leave the farm,see more sites & get more handling by others would be good for him:-) well didn't turn out that way, trainer could not get anything from him he was to uptight,he never did get on him Had just done some ground work stuff,& couldn't progress with him to point he felt it was safe to get on him!!!well brought him home after 3 weeks there & he had regressed in what I had taught him:evil:.I had to start back & regain that:-(. He did come home however with a new desire to be worked with & even greater security/bond with me & think that in turn gave me greater confidence & desire to work with him:-). I see him coming out of his shell & on his way to becoming a solid equine citizen!

This is my Boy:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2..._ryder2012.jpg

paintedpastures 10-24-2012 01:24 AM

Not sure but my video may not have worked:? never posted a video before but think I had my security setting not set for public viewing:wink: changed things so if it wasn't working hope it is now.....

Foxhunter 10-24-2012 10:03 AM

My opinion of a 'one person horse' is that the horse is not very well trained.

Many years ago, way before there were organised groups for therapeutic riding, I had taught a girl who was paralysed in her legs from polio.
We went the the Horse of the Year Show and joey, was admiring one of the stallions ridden in dressage demonstrations. The rider came along and asked if she wanted to sit on the horse. She did, and was led outside to one of the warm up arenas. After a while of walking around with the horse the rider allowed Joey to trot and then canter. This was a highly trained horse and a stallion but he behaved impeccably. When someone asked why he allowed a child to ride the horse the answer was simple "The horse is trained!"

rookie 10-24-2012 11:20 AM

I don't know that I would say a one person horse is poorly trained. I think it depends on the what we consider a one person horse. I think its possible for a horse to bring out a better performance for one person which is a type of one person horse. I think you can take some horses that are ridden by owners and used for a small amount of lessons. The lesson kids get on that horse and they can ride it around. The owner gets on and the horse matches them or preforms better for them. I think thats a kind of one person horse. Anyone can sit on a horse but only a few can ride a horse.

I think a horse that has a bond with a person and has a favorite person is not a bad thing per say. It maybe a horse thats a work in progress. Ie. when you are training a young horse its often one on one which means that horse is a one person horse. If that horse has been trained and is a one person horse thats not a bad thing unless its in a situation in which being a one person horse harms it ie. a lesson program.

BlueSpark 10-24-2012 11:33 AM

A properly trained horse allows a variety of people to ride it, providing they have the skill level to do so.

Certain horses are sensitive, and work best for their "person", but they will work for others if nessesary.My mare is one of them. She will tolerate others, but only really works for me. I can put any rider(intermediate+) on her with out any fear of her acting out, and have no problem leading beginners around on her.

a true 'one person' horse, that only allows itself to be ridden by one person, is poorly trained, and a danger to its self. its usually created by an uneducated trainer. These types of horses are virtually impossible to rehome.

LadyDreamer 10-24-2012 11:34 AM

I can definitely see a horse having severe insecurity issues when someone other than his regular person handles him. I have known a few that really liked their comfort zone. I can also see one liking one person over another for various reasons. The first one the horse just has to be worked with. He has to be shown it is okay to handled by other people, you sheltered prince you. The other one... Meh, keep that for when you are put in the movie scenario of whoever he goes to loose gets to keep him. You NEVER know when that story will play out! Hehehe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Britt 10-24-2012 11:47 AM

I believe in one-person horses, as I own one. :) My boy Dakota is 'my' horse, and everyone knows it. He will let others ride him, but always, always, always does his best when I'm on his back. He listens well to me, and not that great to other people. He knows he's 'my' horse and I'm 'his' human, and there's nothing going to change his mind.

I like him that way, too, because it keeps my family members from wanting to work with him without my consent.

Britt 10-24-2012 11:49 AM

My neighbor also has a horse who is a one-person horse. He raised her from a foal after her dam rejected her and has sold her twice now, but both times she became a witch with her new owners and had to be brought back. She's an angel for him, but with other people she's a witch, according to my neighbor.

FlyGap 10-24-2012 11:57 AM

28 Attachment(s)
I've had two horses that were a one person horse. I don't know why, they were both VERY well trained!

One was my first mare Sky. I trained her myself and she was SOLID. For two years I free leased her to my very best horse friend. She is an incredible horse woman who bred and trained QH's for years (my mentor). N wanted a broke broke horse for friends to trail ride on with her. After two months Sky was turned out because she refused to move for her. She would back up to a fence and just stand there, regardless of what N did. Then I moved her closer to me with two of my other horses, family friend. SAME THING. Then I got the BIG STUPID IDEA that I would sell her. Now I could hop on that horse bareback with nothing but a lead rope around her neck and ride for days without a problem. Three people came out to try her. Two had the same problem, right up to a fence. Then one girl that looked awfully similar to me hopped on and Sky did move for her, with me on another horse.
I decided to keep her.

My uncle had a picky mare that would refuse to move if he was present. Lock her feet and refuse to budge. I took her in and after a few months she realized that he wasn't coming around again and she started working for me. After that I could let just about anyone ride her.

These are my two examples, all others worked regardless of who was on them, depending on their riding abilities though. Some acted like wild hot heads with me on them then would drop their head for a newbie. Gotta love those!

KountryPrincess 10-24-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1730899)
A properly trained horse allows a variety of people to ride it, providing they have the skill level to do so.

Certain horses are sensitive, and work best for their "person", but they will work for others if nessesary.My mare is one of them. She will tolerate others, but only really works for me. I can put any rider(intermediate+) on her with out any fear of her acting out, and have no problem leading beginners around on her.

a true 'one person' horse, that only allows itself to be ridden by one person, is poorly trained, and a danger to its self. its usually created by an uneducated trainer. These types of horses are virtually impossible to rehome.

I agree with this. I consider my mare very well trained and my trainer jokingly calls her a "one woman horse". The reason being that she simply doesn't suffer foolishnes. If you are riding or even handling her on the ground she will test you. If you pass, she will work for you, if not, she will take over and do things as she sees fit. She is super alpha in the herd, and in her mind, if you want her to work for you, you had better be higher up than she. To me, that is basic horse behavior. That said, some horses are simply more forgiving of beginners than others. Of course they recognize that the person doesn't know what they are doing, but they humor them anyway and forgive it. Those horses are like gold, but it does not mean they are "better trained" IMHO they just have a different temperment.

Additionally, if a horse is really only ridden by one person, you can't blame them for being more secure with that person. My mare will work hard for my trainer, but she has one eye on me the whole time, as if to say "Mom is ok with this, right?". That is the fun of having your own horse, that bond you create. As my trainer says, you bought her for you, and you can mold and shape her to exactly the horse you want. If something horrible happened to me and she had to be sold, I have every faith she would bond again with another strong rider.