The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stuck in the Fence :( **Warning Graphic Pictures** (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stuck-fence-%2A%2Awarning-graphic-pictures%2A%2A-141466/)

loveyourhorse 10-24-2012 11:35 AM

Stuck in the Fence :( **Warning Graphic Pictures**

5 Attachment(s)
i went out to the barn where i board to see my lovely mare yesterday and was mortified with what i found... At some point between monday night and tuesday evening (i got there around 5) my poor girl must have gotten her legs caught up rolling too close to the fence.

At first we (me and the BO) thought it could have only been a few hours earlier since there is a worker there to feed and clean stalls usually until about 1:30 2:00, however once the vet was out she said based on how hard the skin around the wound was, it had been quite a bit longer. This means the worker either didn't call anyone or he didn't notice (either way i'm not thrilled)...

Fortunately, she is putting weight on her front leg (which is the worst of the two) but she is definitely ouchy and limping. The vet cleaned out the wound real good and put a compression wrap which she said to leave in place for 36 hours. my mare will have to be on stall rest for a few days (pending her recovery) and given an antibiotic once a day as well as bute as needed. the vet said at this point it isn't necessary to do xrays however if she isn't doing better in about 5 days then we will take some pictures to see whats going on inside.

for those interested in some yucky pictures....

Attachment 116238

Attachment 116239

Attachment 116240

Attachment 116241

Attachment 116242

fingers crossed for a full and quick recovery!!

sorry the pics are so small... i cant figure out how to make them bigger

franknbeans 10-24-2012 11:50 AM

EVen with the small pics, it would be pretty hard to miss......I think the worker needs glasses, as well as a good discussion from the BO.....JMHO. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Tiamo 10-24-2012 12:48 PM

Wow I don't know how anyone could have missed that

Cacowgirl 10-24-2012 01:38 PM

Wishing your horse a good & quick recovery.

loveyourhorse 10-24-2012 02:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
lets see if these turn out bigger...

here you can see just how swollen it is..
Attachment 116245

Attachment 116246

Attachment 116247

Attachment 116248

Attachment 116249

well.. they are bigger... but now they are sideways? :/

ladyicon 10-24-2012 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow LYH sorry to hear, My horse Shorty ran off one day and jumped a barbed wire fence, ripped his leg opened just like that. Your mares injury does not look very deep. I had my horses leg x-rayed after 2 months of injury. I could not ride him heavily for about 4 months. Gods speed on her recovery.

ladyicon 10-24-2012 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of Shorty and I in our happy place.
after his recovery.

loveyourhorse 10-24-2012 02:41 PM

thanks ladyicon, yes fortunately hers isn't very deep, more of a surface wound because it was metal bars that she got stuck under. the vets only concern is the location and amount of swelling. we're just going to have to keep an eye on it and see what happens. hopefully her knee will be just fine :)

thanks for the kind wishes everyone!

Elizabeth Bowers 10-24-2012 02:44 PM

Ouch!!! I can honestly say i've been there, i had to help my mom cut her mare and filly out of a really bad tangled mess of barbed wire. They had it wrapped around their necks, bellies and legs, it was horrible. They both recovered very well, but my moms mare had a nasty scar on her hind leg after.
God speed in her recovery!!! <hugs> :-)

Elizabeth Bowers 10-24-2012 02:45 PM

Ouch!!! I can honestly say i've been there, i had to help my mom cut her mare and filly out of a really bad tangled mess of barbed wire. They had it wrapped around their necks, bellies and legs, it was horrible. They both recovered very well, but my moms mare had a nasty scar on her hind leg after.
God speed in her recovery!!! <hugs> :-)