The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Grazing muzzle??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/grazing-muzzle-141470/)

BB2 10-24-2012 12:37 PM

Grazing muzzle???

So, I've been thinking about getting a grazing muzzle for two of my fat girls, but I'm kind of on the fence about them and have a few questions.

Will they need any special training before wearing a grazing muzzle? They have never ever had anything like this on them, ever.

What brands/features should I look for?

How long should I leave these on? All day? A few hours a day? I don't want to upset their digestive system but they do need to drop some weight.

I sort of hate to put these on because I believe that horses use grazing as a way to work their mind and it gives them something productive to do during the day. My two horses are pretty young and I don't want them to get bored in pasture and start tearing up things or hurt themselves or develop bad habits.

Has anyone ever seen or had problems with muzzles on horses?
I'm worried about length of time to leave it on and if it will cause any vices or boredom issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 10-24-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB2 (Post 1731027)
So, I've been thinking about getting a grazing muzzle for two of my fat girls, but I'm kind of on the fence about them and have a few questions.

Will they need any special training before wearing a grazing muzzle? They have never ever had anything like this on them, ever.

What brands/features should I look for?

How long should I leave these on? All day? A few hours a day? I don't want to upset their digestive system but they do need to drop some weight.

I sort of hate to put these on because I believe that horses use grazing as a way to work their mind and it gives them something productive to do during the day. My two horses are pretty young and I don't want them to get bored in pasture and start tearing up things or hurt themselves or develop bad habits.

Has anyone ever seen or had problems with muzzles on horses?
I'm worried about length of time to leave it on and if it will cause any vices or boredom issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you are misunderstanding the mechanics of the muzzle - you aren't going to eliminate grazing, only drastically reduce/slow the actual consumption of the grass while grazing. *SOME* horses may not eat at all while wearing the muzzle (or be unable to do so if the grass they are in is very short), but in general they figure out how to manipulate things fairly well/quickly and the grass will poke up through/into the muzzle allowing them to bite off some grass. Think of it like a slow feeder hay net, but for grass.

BB2 10-24-2012 12:46 PM

Ohhhhhh okay, I've neve actually held one in my hand so I thought it would cut off grazing completely.

If they do stop grazing should I take it off completely?
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-24-2012 12:50 PM

I use them on both of my guys and they help immensely. THey get them on when they are out when the grass is good. THis time of year, fall, going into winter, they are without, for example. I think the brand I have is Weaver. THey will most likely get rubs-sometimes under their chin, sometimes under the jaw, but those will heal-just keep ointment on it. It is important that you keep them on, since I have seen studies that say that if you have the muzzle on for a few hours, then off for a few while the horse is still out, they will eat enough when it is off to make up for the time lost when it was on, negating the effect of it.

You will feel sorry for them....but they are better off with their weight controlled.....Good luck!

wetrain17 10-24-2012 02:29 PM

How long a grazing muzzle is on a horse depends on the horse and their turn out situation. If the horse is in during the day and out at night, they can wear them all night and be fine. There is a hole at the bottom of the muzzle that allows them to still graze and drink. I would check the muzzle every so often because over time the hole can get bigger from wear and tear and need to be replaced. Grazing muzzles are great for easy keepers.

BB2 10-24-2012 02:49 PM

I never stall my horses during the day or night. The have only been stalled for 5-6 hours through a sleet storm or something along those lines. I hate when horses are confined to a stall, and I don't have any real reason to keep them up.

One of my horses had been stalled all day for 2 years before I got her. She can't stand being in a stall now, even to eat.

They ARE easy keepers though. They definitely need something to help with their weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-24-2012 02:56 PM

We all have our opinions about stalls......different strokes for different folks. THat would be a whole different discussion. ;-)

We have a fence that actually divides some of our pasture so that they horses can be in a smaller part where it is very nearly a dry lot if we choose. Maybe you could put yours in an area like that and take off the muzzles some of the time? Or put them in a paddock?

Cowgirls Boots 10-24-2012 03:24 PM

I muzzled my mare for half the day in the summer and most of the time she just stood around. Some days she got it off but mostly she learned it had to be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

BB2 10-24-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1731216)
We all have our opinions about stalls......different strokes for different folks. THat would be a whole different discussion. ;-)

We have a fence that actually divides some of our pasture so that they horses can be in a smaller part where it is very nearly a dry lot if we choose. Maybe you could put yours in an area like that and take off the muzzles some of the time? Or put them in a paddock?

We only have one big pasture and a 50 foot round pen. Is that too small??
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-24-2012 05:39 PM

Issue is, there is no shelter in the roundpen, Is there? I would not put one of mine in a place with no shelter for approx 12 hours a day, but that is just me.