The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Longer and thicker tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/longer-thicker-tail-141510/)

howrsegirl123 10-24-2012 08:36 PM

Longer and thicker tail?

My horse's tail isn't very long and it's kinda skimpy. Is there anything I can do to make it longer, but especially thicker?

Lexiie 10-24-2012 08:39 PM

Don't use a brush on it. Untangle it with your fingers.
It takes a while at first, but you get used to it. Also, remove the dandruff from the tail bone.
I like to mix conditioner with water and spray it on (it makes it easier to untangle and makes it more elastic and soft, it will make the tail dirty though)

If you want length, braid it loose and then bag it. That prevents the ends from being stepped on and broken.

LizNicole520 10-25-2012 03:00 PM

I am with Lexiie. I detangle by hand from the bottom working up to the top. I braid then bag. I do upkeep on the braid just to ensure we're not growing one big braided knot. I also do not braid to close to the top so they do not start itching it out.

HorseCrazyTeen 10-26-2012 02:44 AM

I don't bag, but I do brush all the time. However, the brush I use is not a regular mane comb; it's a metal mane comb that has rotating teeth. It's called a Grooma rake. I can brush out all of Brandy's mane, tail, and forelock (which are all very long!), in about ten minutes. And there is no hair loss if you start from the bottom and work your way to the top. It is actually pretty hard to tear out hair even if you wanted too. It's awesome for getting burrs out, too. I have had it for two years now and it has held up to fairly heavy use. You can use people brushes, too. They are generally better than regular mane combs, but not as good as the Grooma rake I have.

I condition my horse's tail and mane every time I go see her, and especially before I brush it out. I have found that Fructis sleek-and-shine leave in conditioner works wonders. You can find it with the regular people conditioners. I have also been banging her tail to about fetlock level lately and it grows sooo much faster (split ends are gone), and looks fuller and healthier.

My riding instructor bags one of her horse's tails and it does help the length. But, I have stayed away from that because I noticed that it made the top of his tail scraggly and short. My horse's tail is a lot healthier than his with what I've done, so I'm never bagging it if I don't have to!

Here's the link to that awesome comb. lol It has 4 1/2 stars!
Grooma Rake - Grooming Tools from SmartPak Equine

P.S. A friend's groomer asked where my friend got her dog comb. We gave it to her... it was a Grooma rake, and the dog groomer loves it. The dog is an Afghan, so you can imagine what a pain it could be to brush out a dog like that!

mls 10-26-2012 09:42 AM

It could simply be genetics.

Horselover3418 10-31-2012 06:22 PM

Don't groom the tail. If you happen to see bures (I think I spelt that right :) ) all you have to do is take them out with your fingers! Besides that If you leave it alone you're good also try to take the least amount of hair out. My mare had the same problem, but I stopped brushing it with a real brush, then she got a really nice tail! Good luck

xeventer17 10-31-2012 11:37 PM

I just wanted to throw in that rubbing MTG into the dock works wonders along with the tips everybody else has given you. It smells awful, but really seems to get the job done.

Kayty 11-01-2012 12:53 AM

As mls said, often it is genetic that horses will have a thin tail. There's not much you can do about it but protect what tail they do have.
Aside from that, I like to bag my horse's tails, they never get brushed unless just before coming into a competition. Avoid using any products that contain silicon - most often in the human shampoos/conditions, and horse detangling solutions. Its ok for a short period of time, but the silicon builds up quickly and weakens the hair.
I have recently discovered Hi-Shine hot oil treatment, and swear by it. My horses get a treatment fairly regularly now, and their coat condition has improved immensely. My older gelding tends to have a fairly brittle mane and tail, so regular treatments with oil has made the hair so much softer, shinier and super strong. His coat is also looking a million dollars as a result.

horsecrazed09 11-01-2012 11:09 AM

they make tail falls now it sounds like your best option

Speed Racer 11-01-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazed09 (Post 1740086)
they make tail falls now it sounds like your best option

No, fake tails LOOK fake. Besides, they're only used for showing.

As MLS stated it's probably genetic. There's nothing out there that can override genetics and make a horse's tail or mane longer and thicker.