The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Whipping while Rating? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/whipping-while-rating-141527/)

KGolden 10-24-2012 10:55 PM

Whipping while Rating?

Can someone explain that to me? If you're whipping to encourage speed, what is the point of whipping your horse as they rate and/or turn their barrel?
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 10-24-2012 11:00 PM

I actually know next to nothing about barrel racing, but I would assume its to move the horse hind quarters or shoulders away from the barrel????? Haha I'm not sure!

BarrelRacingLvr 10-24-2012 11:50 PM

A lot of people do it on really ratey horses to push them up in the pocket and get them PAST the barrel so they don't turn on top of the barrel.

Muppetgirl 10-24-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacingLvr (Post 1731860)
A lot of people do it on really ratey horses to push them up in the pocket and get them PAST the barrel so they don't turn on top of the barrel.

Haha ok! I was half right about staying AWAY from the barrel!

SorrelHorse 10-25-2012 12:05 AM

Exactly as Barrelracinglvr said.. I will be needing to do that with Ruger when he gets up there in speed because if I even THINK the word "sit" he slams his butt in the ground and will crater a barrel.

KGolden 10-25-2012 12:17 AM

hat's kind of how my mare is going to her second barrel but then she bends so much I have a REALLY hard time straightening her out going to her 3rd barrel. Any thoughts on that?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 10-25-2012 12:21 AM

Do you have a video? Because there is a difference between rating and dropping their shoulders which is sometimes misunderstood.

KGolden 10-25-2012 12:26 AM

CCHAPC Oct. 6 - YouTube This was from our last show.
Posted via Mobile Device

KGolden 10-25-2012 12:29 AM

Please keep critiques nice, this was our first official year together and we're both still learning!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 10-25-2012 12:31 AM

Doesn't look like her body is attached to her nose to me. She's bending sure, but she's also bowing her shoulder and that's why there's a wide first barrel and hesitation leaving, etc. You need to get her shoulder to follow her nose.

Oh shoot I have to give up my computer. I leave you in Bailey's capable hands and if there's no reply I'll return and talk more in a little bit. :)