The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   New here, plus sized greetings from Australia :) (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/new-here-plus-sized-greetings-australia-141529/)

Vinter 10-25-2012 12:02 AM

New here, plus sized greetings from Australia :)

2 Attachment(s)
I have lurked around the messages a few times and decidedI should join the forum and maybe get some encouragement. Not only am I large, I'm old and I can't ride! My daughter and I share a 15.3hh 12yo Appy gelding (she can ride), and I'd love to be able to do more than just a plod around the paddock but I'm nervous. (It's not sounding good is it?) Does anyone have a hugely successful tale to tell of how they learned to ride at the age of 49 (or older)? A couple of pictures of myself and Sunny (Ampleur Suntime Soon) - I know the words 'sack' and 'potatoes' will spring to mind :oops:

Puddintat 10-25-2012 12:03 AM

Welcome! :D And hush yourself! You look great!

Chevaux 10-25-2012 12:08 AM

Welcome to the forum Vinter. A) You've got a good looking horse there in Sunny and B) You've got a natural looking balanced posture on Sunny (and that's a good portion of the battle in my opinion) - stick with it you and you'll go places.

tinyliny 10-25-2012 12:09 AM

Hello and welcome! In no way , shape or form do your resemble a sack of potatoes. You look very natural on that horse.

I can very much relate to you, though I got back into horses at the age of 41, and am now plus sized and 54. it helps to have a saddle, and an instructor, and it helps to increase your fitness in other ways, such as walking a lot , or working out in Yoga or Pilates. Don't let that stop you from committing to riding, but you will find your confidence much sturdier if you have more fitness, regardless of your size.

I do love an Appy!

alexis rose 10-25-2012 12:16 AM

You and Sunny look great! The more you ride the more confident you get. He looks like a great horse to share!

flytobecat 10-25-2012 12:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. I got back into riding at 36 and would be considered plus size now. It's only too late if aren't breathing anymore until then where there's a will, there's a way.

Golden Horse 10-25-2012 12:27 AM

The words that come to my mind are "Nice horse" and "Great smile"

Welcome, you are in good company, there are a lot of larger, less confident, older ladies around here, we help each other along:D

QuietHeartHorses 10-25-2012 01:02 AM

Welcome! You look great on that handsome appy! Just keep riding and spending time with him, you will get the hang of things before you know it.

Cacowgirl 10-25-2012 04:27 PM

You look just fine on that lovely Appy! Don't put yourself down so much. Core work is key to balance-maybe some Yoga and/or Pilates.Walking is also good & personally I like having strong hands, so use hand grips or a tennis ball. Happy trails!

Speed Racer 10-25-2012 04:34 PM

Horse looks fine, rider looks fine. Don't see a sack of potatoes anywhere. :wink: