The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse Fitness Work *help* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-fitness-work-%2Ahelp%2A-141537/)

ShowjumpingGirl94 10-25-2012 05:59 AM

Horse Fitness Work *help*

I am in need of some help with coming up with a good fitness plan for my TB, for show jumping.

Does anyone know of a cite or books that have a good plan or even your own fitness workouts that you do with your horses would be a big help!

Thank you

equiniphile 10-25-2012 06:54 AM

What are your facilities like? That will change our answers. If you have trails and fields to condition on, that's something I do a LOT with both my dressage horse and eventer. Hill work is also great for building muscle if you have the geography for it.

Equine Fitness, Bodywork for Horses, and Getting Horses Fit are a few worthwhile reads I can think off of the top of my head.

ShowjumpingGirl94 10-25-2012 07:02 AM

Thank you, yer i have got hills and acerage to ride on!!

mbaron5731 11-12-2012 11:49 PM

Right up my alley!

Here's a couple of workouts I would do with my mare when we were really conditioning.

If you have access to cavalettis and gymnastics, have fun moving your jumps around so you approach and leave at different angles. This will help your horses flexibility.
Throw a couple of poles on the ground around your turn so when you come around the turn your horse keeps his balance, keeps the consistant rhythm and has something to focus on. The more they have to do, the more you both will advance together.

Also, work on using specific commands. i.e., one ride only use confident, clear body commands. Another day, use verbal speech to transition your horse. The more you associate communication with each other, the stronger the bond, and the better you will perform!

I loved trotting circles over elevated poles. It's not easy when you have them set up for specific strides. This was always fun for me, kept us changing direction and planning what to do next.

That's the best part of forums, little bit of everything from everyone :)

Barrelhorseluver1 11-12-2012 11:56 PM

I have a thourghbred barrel horse but i imagine the workouts would be similar. I long trot lots this helps build up muscles. And i do lots of trail rideing it helps with the horses mind and body
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 11-13-2012 06:52 PM

"Equine Fitness" by Jec Ballou is a great resource. It even has tear-out cards in the back for each exercise in the book so you can put together a workout plan and bring it along with you :-)

ShowjumpingGirl94 11-18-2012 05:03 PM

Thank you everyone!!