The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Hair and helmet question! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/hair-helmet-question-141550/)

Britt 10-25-2012 10:39 AM

Hair and helmet question!

I have a question about what to do with my hair when wearing a helmet.

I have very thick, short, curly hair. It's different lengths (layered) and when I say thick, I mean thick. I get it from my dad's side of the family (Native American). My hair, when straightened, touches my shoulders, but when it's not straightened (which is most of the time) it comes to the middle of my neck and is horribly bushy/curly. I can pull it back in a low ponytail, but the front strands fall out and hang around my face.

It's too short to braid or anything, too.

Is there any way I can tie my hair back when I wear my helmet so that the front strands don't fall in my face? It's really irritating, and I'm not about to stop wearing my helmet just because my hair won't tay out of my face...

Chiilaa 10-25-2012 10:41 AM

Try a hair net. It will hold the hair back from your face without adding bulk. It doesn't look amazing, but it is under the helmet so it doesn't matter.

wetrain17 10-25-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These work for me

DancingArabian 10-25-2012 10:43 AM

You could try a French braid and start it really close to your hairline.

Clips are also an option.

You could try twists but they might make it so that your helmet doesn't fit.

Put your helmet on front to back and catch the shorter hair locks in the helmet - they shouldn't fall out of the helmet and into your face.

You could also try a thin headband.
Posted via Mobile Device

Britt 10-25-2012 10:44 AM

I hadn't thought about a hairnet.

I'm stll pretty new to helmets (only been wearing one since earlier this year) so things like how to do your hair in a way to keep it from irritating you are things that i'm still trying to figure out...

I will have to try and find my barretts, too, and try them...

walkinthewalk 10-25-2012 01:14 PM

When I used to ride motorcycles, I always wrapped a "Do rag" around my head.

It kept my hair out of my face and also kept me from having "helmet hair". It was a lot easier fluffing my hair after taking a big kerchief off it, than trying to do something with it after the helmet had twisted it in 50 different directions:D

AlexS 10-25-2012 02:47 PM

I grow my hair for Locks for Love, so it goes through that stage when it's too short to tie back, and too long to have loose, it's so annoying.

I put in a low pony tail and then wet the sides and slam the helmet on quickly. The sides stay in place as long as I don't remove the helmet.