The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Dwarf Mini for a Special Purpose (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/dwarf-mini-special-purpose-141561/)

Magic1 10-25-2012 01:20 PM

Dwarf Mini for a Special Purpose

Ok - Please don't judge me for seeking a dwarf! I am by no means an advocate of breeding for dwarfism. I am aware that many of these little horses end up with painful deformities and health problems, but I also know that just by chance sometimes a dwarf is born and I can provide one with an great and loving home!

I have a 12 year old mini that I have done pet therapy with for several years. I am a registered nurse and a huge advocate for alternative therapies in hopsitals, nursing homes, and even for children with special needs/disabilities. I love my mini (Magic) and we both love the joy that we bring to others. I have owned him for 11 years. The problem is that even at 34 inches, he is still too big to access all areas we would like to go.

I want to offer a wonderful life-long home to a dwarf. He/She would live out its days in a paddock right behind my house with my other mini and 2 pygmy goats. My new horse would only travel for pet therapy about once a month. Every other day he/she would just be spoiled and adored by myself and my three children. My new horse would need to be quite small of course with a good temperament. Nothing else matters (color, sex, comformation, age, etc.) I would even consider a special needs case.

I can afford to give all of my animals any care they will ever need but because I do not want to encourage the breeding of a dwarf, ethically, I can't pay a large purchase price for one. I would be willing to pay a reasonable adoption fee.

Please contact me or pass along my information if you know of a special little horse in need of a great home with a special purpose!

I am located in Virginia but willing to drive up to 3 hours for the right horse.

Thank you,
Lynda
LyndaAriaban@hotmail.com

WickedNag 10-25-2012 01:24 PM

You can find minis that are smaller and not dwarfs. My daughter had one that just made 27" and was not a dwarf. Good luck in your search

Magic1 10-25-2012 01:36 PM

True and I would certainly consider a small mini that was not a dwarf. I don't know if its the nurse in me, but I'm drawn toward animals and even people with special needs or disabilities. I suppose that was my motivation in specifying a dwarf.

FeatheredFeet 10-26-2012 12:16 PM

First of all, not all dwarf Minis are small. Some dwarfs are normal size, but with dwarf traits of one kind or another.

With a true Mini dwarf of very tiny stature, you would find it most probably, difficult for it to walk on shiny surfaces in hospital etc. This especially, if it had very upturned feet and was wearing braces, as many must.

I suggest you are very careful about all this. Some dwarfs cannot get around well at all and need constant and extremely expensive care, throughout their lives.

For a working animal - which this really would be, I suggest just finding a very small Mini which is not a dwarf. There are tons out there. Look on Li'l Beginnings forum. There is a huge classified section there with many tiny ones for sale.

Lizzie

Lady 16 12-01-2012 09:05 PM

Dwarfs are wonderful horses. I own one and she is a sweetheart. She has leg and hoof problems. She still runs though. She is 5 and I am noticing a bit more stiffness, but she will live out her days spoiled rotten. People sell these animals and get large amounts for them. Be careful when purchasing one. They may tell you they are micro minis. No such thing. Being a nurse you will understand their needs. goood luck. They are fun.