The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Spurs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/spurs-141600/)

brookebum 10-25-2012 08:29 PM

Spurs?

English riders, what type of spurs do you use, and what are the benefits of them?
I have heard that regukar dummies can cause bruising?
I am considering the roller ball ones, thoughts?

waresbear 10-25-2012 08:32 PM

Bruising? I have used spurs for close to forty years, never had a horse's sides bruised, injured or fur ruffled from a spur. I use a plain el cheapo nubby english spur and a rowelled one for western. Guess maybe it's how the equipment is used?

brookebum 10-25-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1732857)
Bruising? I have used spurs for close to forty years, never had a horse's sides bruised, injured or fur ruffled from a spur. I use a plain el cheapo nubby english spur and a rowelled one for western. Guess maybe it's how the equipment is used?

I am seriously clueless about this stype of stuff.
I have just read that dummy spurs can be a bit pokey with sensative horses or soemthing.

brookebum 10-25-2012 08:42 PM

I am thinking of these
Google Image Result for http://www.groomers-online.com/shopimages/products/extras/roller-ball-spurs.jpg

or these

Google Image Result for http://www.theshack4tack.co.uk/images/_lib/jhl-prosteel-solid-rollerball-spurs-6599-0-1296754642000.jpg

Kayty 10-25-2012 08:51 PM

Dummy spurs have a very small surface area that makes contact with the horse's side, therefore, contrary to popular belief, the dummy spur is actually quite severe.
I use a Sprenger disk spur, with a 250mm shaft. The disk is smooth edged and spins, therefore when applied, it covers a great surface area and also rolls along the horse's skin rather than jabbing into it.

Obviously, all spurs should only be worn by a rider who can control their lower leg. And should never bruise or cut the horse. If this is occurring, you are abusing the use of a spur and should go back to learning to ride before trying to train a horse with the use of a spur.

brookebum 10-26-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1732889)
Dummy spurs have a very small surface area that makes contact with the horse's side, therefore, contrary to popular belief, the dummy spur is actually quite severe.
I use a Sprenger disk spur, with a 250mm shaft. The disk is smooth edged and spins, therefore when applied, it covers a great surface area and also rolls along the horse's skin rather than jabbing into it.

Obviously, all spurs should only be worn by a rider who can control their lower leg. And should never bruise or cut the horse. If this is occurring, you are abusing the use of a spur and should go back to learning to ride before trying to train a horse with the use of a spur.

Thanks! Do you have a picture of them, or link to them? I goodled and got pictures of bits haha.

I have only had limited experience with spurs along the years and with differnt horses, new new bloke is now getting to the point wheere I need to be a little more direct in my aids.

brookebum 10-26-2012 05:07 AM

The Dressage Connection
These?

ponyboy 10-26-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1732889)

Yay, someone who understands physics!

Kayty 10-26-2012 08:32 PM

Yep brooke those are the ones, but the disks on mine are a little bigger. My gelding goes much better in these than in dummy spurs, he'd always pull a face when I touched him with the dummies, in the Sprengers I always get a positive reaction from him.

Ponyboy, I assumed it was plain old common sense! ;)