The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Harnessing up-------------BITS (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/harnessing-up-bits-141626/)

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 01:21 AM

Harnessing up-------------BITS

4 Attachment(s)
I am not a bit expert by any means far from it. I try and learn every chance I get. Whenever there is a lecture on bits I try to attend. When I went to the ADS meeting in WI this year I attended the lecture on bits, and what the lecturer said in concise language was, try a lot of different bits and use what works best.

Here are a few of mine I have used. I will start with my newest bit.
The most expensive bit I have ever bought.
Hand made in America, and so beautifly crafted and beautiful I want Pilgrim to go around with his mouth open so everyone can see my new bit. Just Joking....partly.

It is a mullen mouth, 45 degree, swivel cheek, short shanked Liverpool.

This mullen mouth is special because it does not start rising immediately from the shank. Instead it goes in about 2/3 inch on each side then starts the mullen part of the mouth piece. In other words it goes though the horse’s teeth then starts to rise over the tongue. The other plus is it does not go straight up instead it rises at a 45 degree angle, making it less tongue pressure when contact is on the bit. It also has flat curb chain attachments, kind of a pain untill you get used to the trick to hookup the curb but once you get it it is good.

Isn't it beautiful??

SorrelHorse 10-26-2012 01:43 AM

Oh yes it's very pretty.

That's how I feel about my bit collection...At the barn, I am so guilty of leaving my show bag open like LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY SHINY BITS I HAVE~ :lol:

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 01:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
There are a few different placements of the reins on my new bit as well as several driving bits.

Of course they go in order of most mild to more severe rein attachments.

Photo one: the reins on the plain or smooth cheek

Photo two: the reins are on the rough cheek

Photo three: the reins are on the upper bar

Photo four: the reins are on the bottom bar, but since this is a short shanked Liverpool this slot is equivalent to the middle bar of longer shanked liver pools.

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 02:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
On the newer bits like my new one there is hardly any difference between the rough cheek and the upper bar, so usually if you need a little extra control you just use the upper bar slot, as the rough cheek is obsolete. In the older bits there was a definite difference between the two, so it depends on your bit which you would use.

If you use the rough cheek make sure you go around the entire cheek piece to the rough cheek like in photo one and two.

If you just go around the post to the rough cheek, like in photo three and four. When you put contact on the bit you will push the round part of the bit into the horses cheek just by the pressure of the reins.

PHOTO 3 AND 4 IS NOT CORRECT

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 02:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This bit is a 4" swivel cheek, straight bar, Liverpool. I bought it at a used tack sale, my guess it is on the newer side, because of the high placement of the upper bar slot. This bit is smooth on both sides of the mouth piece. You will see some are not smooth on both sides.

Obviously this is a pony or mini bit.

It is different than my new bit in the fact that it has an upper, middle and bottom bar.

Of course there is a saying in the driving community...... If your horse needs to use the bottom bar on your driving bit, you should not be driving that horse.

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 02:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Of course you can drive in any bit.

I have tried all of the following bits to see how they worked, some are more "correct" driving bits tham the others. I only used the snaffle parts of these bits even if they had a curb to them.

I wanted to try different mouth pieces untill I decided what worked best , and forked out more money on a bit my horse did not like.

Here are a few I have used, snaffles only.

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 03:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This was my boy Sam's, 6 1/2" stainless, swivel cheek, Buxton bar bit.
I only used this bit for parades, around the estate I used half cheek snaffle.

This bit is used mainly for draft horses on a hitch, or with multiples, I used it for show.
The "bar" is at the bottom of the bit and is there to keep one horse from pulling the bridle off, or getting his bit in the lines of his partner.

Side note: Supposedly the term reins are proper on light horses and the term lines are correct on heavy horses.

Again there are several slots of varying degrees of severity to put your lines on this bit, from the snaffle to a severe curb. Also you can turn the bit over and have the rough side of the straight bar mouthpiece on the horses tongue, and have 4 more slots to put the lines. So technically there are 8 bits in one.

PLEASE DON"T USE THE ROUGH SIDE OF THE MOUTHPIECE, (rough side down against the tongue). Just because it is there doesn't mean it should be used. If you need that severe of a bit you need to go back to some serious training.

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 03:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More examples of the Buxton bar bit different line attachments, going from mild, (Snaffle), to more severe, (curb).

michaelvanessa 10-26-2012 06:51 AM

driveing

hiya my exercise waggonett is comeing along fine ill have to get some pictures of it and i have drove him once in my sulky ill have to take some pictures of him as well.
weathers been foggy here and rain as well so not much has been done.
i have orderd new parts and fixing hydrolic disc brakes as well and alterd the chassis as well so the front wheels have 180.o turn so i have got to go to the steel stockest as well and get some inch angle iron so we have a locking box to put food rugs ect in so we are going to use that space.
i have a supplys here for every one and thay ship world wide if you google pony and carrage ltd i also brought a pair of led candles as well so thay will be intresting to see as well.

Taffy Clayton 10-26-2012 09:51 AM

Michaelvanessa I can't wait to see some photos of your new horse and wagonette!