The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   How does my horse look? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/how-does-my-horse-look-141656/)

Horseychick94 10-26-2012 12:02 PM

How does my horse look?
 
8 Attachment(s)
I have noticed my 6 year old grade Quarter horse has a large belly but has ribs. He also has really thin withers with hollows behind him and you can see/feel the top of his ribcage. He has a little bit of an upside down neck as well. He is well fed, has dapples all over, and looks fat but there are ribs showing and his belly is big. He is routinely dewormed. He is on free choice to hay,water,and salt and on 6 lbs daily of Nutrena Triumph 10/10 (just switched to it) and since I got him, he has been on Nutrena Compete, Purina Omelene 500, and Purina Omelene 200. He has also been on CoMega supreme and Red Cell. The first pictures are more recent. *Note* The previous owner said he has always been thin on top and I have also recently attended a Cargill/Nutrena nutrition seminar and they recommended their Triumph 10/10 for him because they thought he was lacking amino acids because of the lack of muscle.

Cacowgirl 10-26-2012 02:56 PM

For all that he is eating he should be roly-poly! Have his teeth been looked at? Has a vet recomendded anything?

MelissaAnn 10-26-2012 02:59 PM

hm....does he finish his grain? does it fall out of his mouth? I am wondering if it's a tooth problem.

EDIT: it really seems like you are doing all you can! This is a head scratcher. He definately looks thin.

themacpack 10-26-2012 03:08 PM

I know you say he is routinely dewormed, but have you had a FEC done on him recently? When was he last vetted? When were his teeth last check and floated?

Horseychick94 10-26-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1733830)
I know you say he is routinely dewormed, but have you had a FEC done on him recently? When was he last vetted? When were his teeth last check and floated?

No on the FEC but I guess I will get that done. He was last vetted when I first got him...around late march/april. Can't remember if his teeth were checked or not. He is an extreme handful for the vet. He does drop some grain but the owner said it was normal for him. Will ask her when they were done last.

Horseychick94 10-26-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaAnn (Post 1733821)
hm....does he finish his grain? does it fall out of his mouth? I am wondering if it's a tooth problem.

EDIT: it really seems like you are doing all you can! This is a head scratcher. He definately looks thin.

He GOBBLES his grain. its almost like he doesn't breathe lol. He chews thoroughly but he is a wicked pig with grain

gothicangel69 10-26-2012 06:12 PM

I would definitely get his teeth checked (make sure the vet sedates so they can get a really good look). My boy needs his teeth done 3 times a year, so the once a year is a baseline but each horse is different. I'd also get a fecal done- he may have worms that are resistant to the type of dewormer you're using. If those don't work, you may want to get bloodwork done to see if anything shows up :). I would definately get a vet to look him over. He is a bit underweight but a good vet should be able to figure out what's wrong. Most likely its his teeth or worms, which are all usually easy fixes. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 10-26-2012 06:14 PM

How much grain/hay/grazing does he get?

horseOlantern 10-26-2012 06:24 PM

He looks like such a sweetheart! If you're looking to build some muscle along his topline there are some great exercises you can do. It seems like it's impossible sometimes to really make their withers, back and neck look great without it! Here's some links to past threads on here with some helpful tips on the topic:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...es-back-72621/
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...-horse-108730/

:)

Horseychick94 10-26-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseOlantern (Post 1734043)
He looks like such a sweetheart! If you're looking to build some muscle along his topline there are some great exercises you can do. It seems like it's impossible sometimes to really make their withers, back and neck look great without it! Here's some links to past threads on here with some helpful tips on the topic:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...es-back-72621/
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...-horse-108730/

:)

Thanks! will do some reading!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0