The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   does anyone know where ti find vit/min requirements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/does-anyone-know-where-ti-find-141657/)

toosexy4myspotz 10-26-2012 11:05 AM

does anyone know where ti find vit/min requirements

i am looking something to give me an idea if vitamins and mineral requirements. i know what each vitamin and mineral is for but i can't find an accurate page with the levels. im going to subscribe to feedxl within the next couple of weeks but i would like to know for my purposes. everything i am reading says not to supplement fat soluble vitamins only water soluble and that horse don't need any more fat soluble vitamins than pasture and hay contain. however i can look at my horses and tell the have vitamin deficiencies. so i was thinking about giving extra multi vit/min supplement for a short period ti help replenish these but i need to find out how much is too much before i do this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-26-2012 11:29 AM

There are no exact amounts, only suggested amounts based on your horse's height and weight.

You want water soluble vitamins/minerals because you don't want any excess to build up in their tissues. Fat soluble means they're bound to the tissues and can cause toxicity problems if given in too great amounts. Any vitamins and minerals their body can't use will be flushed out with their urine if you use water soluble.

Plus, giving them for a short time will do squat. In order to get the most benefit from vitamin/mineral supplements, they need to be given on a long term basis.

verona1016 10-26-2012 11:37 AM

Here's an article on Vitamin Requirements for Horses that I was reading yesterday. As Speed mentioned, there aren't any hard and fast rules, so I'd consider this document a good starting point, which may need to be adjusted for an individual horse's needs.

toosexy4myspotz 10-26-2012 12:27 PM

what i was wanting to do was give slightly more of the multivitamin until the deficiencies level out then go into a maintenance dose . what i have been reading vitamin a, d, e are fat soluble vitamins and vitamins b, c are water soluble. so its stating not to supplement a, d, or e only b, c. but my horses are all a, e deficienct. this i presume because of our pasture. we moved in July because we were having to board our horses which was costing over $1000 for pasture board. our pastures now were severely overgrown like 6ft tall in briars and weeds. we have bush hogged several times and are fixing to reseed. we have a fair amount of grass but not enough to supply our horses with adequate vitamin intake they require. im wanting to hAve more bloodwork done a month after starting supplements and then follow up in the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-26-2012 01:03 PM

You don't want to overload them with something just because you presume they're deficient, especially with fat soluble vitamins/minerals.

You can give them a ration balancer if you don't want to go with an actual feed.

The majority of nutrients my horses get are from their hay/pasture. I supplement that with a legume based feed, to balance out any deficiencies in their forage. I also supply them with a salt/mineral block to which they have 24/7 access.

toosexy4myspotz 10-26-2012 01:13 PM

mine have both salt and mineral blocks and don't really touch the mineral blocks. i don't presume the are deficient i know they or according to the tests the vet ran three weeks ago they are vitamin a, e deficient. their vitamin a has dropped significantly and now three of my horses are having skin issues. they are in dry conditions and not exposed to a lot of mud. two have rain rot and one was severely dry skin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 10-26-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosexy4myspotz (Post 1733670)
what i was wanting to do was give slightly more of the multivitamin until the deficiencies level out then go into a maintenance dose . what i have been reading vitamin a, d, e are fat soluble vitamins and vitamins b, c are water soluble. so its stating not to supplement a, d, or e only b, c. but my horses are all a, e deficienct.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting as the rr and skin issues can be a direct result of too little vit A in the diet and B vitamins are mostly synthesized in sufficient amounts in the hindgut.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 10-26-2012 04:35 PM

we ran into the rr issue in march but then our spring grass came in and everybody done great with no feed or supplements. then we moved. three weeks ago we had blood work done on everybody and then a week ago the rr and other skin issues showed up. so i have already started a multi vit/min supplement plus alfalfa/oat cubes and beet pulp. they have been on source micronutrients and ground flax for about seven weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 10-26-2012 10:25 PM

I really can't comment on using Source since I've never used it but I'm gonna. I have a problem with a nutritional supplement that doesn't provide a guaranteed analysis. The range they provide for the minerals is too vague for me to know what I'm actually giving them. The amount of trace minerals in the list is also mind boggling. (tin got me. Really? Horses need tin?) Trace minerals are just that. Minerals that are needing in such small amounts that it's a rarity to ever need them. The other part is it doesn't provide any Vit A which we all can agree your horses need in some form be it green grass or supplementation. It's not working for you. The proof is you've been feeding it for 7 weeks and the RR reappeared last week.

Just my 2 cents.

toosexy4myspotz 10-26-2012 10:54 PM

here is the reason we started the source. from everything i have read it is suppose to aide in the absorption of vitamins and minerals. we have a really crappy pastures right now and giving at the end of summer didn't give us enough time to get good grass growing. sense we have started the source and ground flax everybody has very shiney coats their manes and tails are growing and good hoof growth they have also added weight. i have 3 very hard keepers and two that cannot tolerate the starches and sugars in feeds and both are sensitive to soy. source is suppose to help digest more vitamins and minerals but we have approx 2acres of grass out of out ten acres of pastures. most of it is weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device