The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Get your horse use to the Rope ? (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/get-your-horse-use-rope-141680/)

HorseCourage 10-26-2012 02:09 PM

Get your horse use to the Rope ?

How do you get your horse use to the rope swinging without him spooking and thinking its gonna attack him ?

Dressage10135 10-26-2012 02:27 PM

Is this before or after you teach him to jump?

Corporal 10-26-2012 02:29 PM

Exposure. Maybe that Aussie Whip thing that CA does.

HorseCourage 10-26-2012 02:41 PM

Dressage: What do you mean ? There is no jumping involved with Roping ?
Corporal: Thanks !

DrumRunner 10-26-2012 02:50 PM

I think what Dressage is asking because of the other "How to" threads you've posted. I noticed you also posted a jumping thread? Are you wanting the same horse to learn both of these things at once? That's a little difficult and because they're two VERY different disciplines you really can't expect to do both in training and get good results. It's also in your best interest to find a professional and seasoned trainer to help you with these things rather than just jumping in yourself with not much knowledge and experience on the subject.

Dressage10135 10-26-2012 02:54 PM

What Drum said!

HorseCourage 10-26-2012 06:14 PM

No I'm working with two different horses at the moment, well actually three if you count the one i've been working with since april. but i was just asking. anything wrong with asking ? No need to read further into it.

DrumRunner 10-26-2012 06:18 PM

The thing about that is that you never said these were two different horses. We can only go by what information you give us, and you're giving us really nothing to work with. There are a lot of factors that could go into these things.. it's not a one size fits all advice.. So to get better answers you have to give us more to go off of. You asked for advice and you're bound to hear things you don't agree with but that's just part of participating on a public forum.

HorseCourage 10-26-2012 06:22 PM

Second guessing me on if im teaching a horse two things or not isn't exactly in terms of advice. advice is something such as Corporal said "Exposure. Maybe that Aussie Whip thing that CA does." Sorry to sound rude. And it could have also been an honest question at the same time, maybe I don't intend to teach my horse one or the other, and am just contemplating doing one. There are alot of factors that go into questions that can't all be written out.

Annanoel 10-26-2012 06:23 PM

Well said Amber! Couldn't agree with you more.