The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Pros and Cons of getting a Percheron/Quarter Horse Cross? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/pros-cons-getting-percheron-quarter-horse-141689/)

SeemsLegit 10-26-2012 04:41 PM

Pros and Cons of getting a Percheron/Quarter Horse Cross?

Alright, so I'm very interested in possibly purchasing a horse nearby who is a Quarter Horse with "a little bit of Percheron," as the ad puts it. She's small, around 14.2hh to 14.3hh, and I'm going to visit her tomorrow morning to ride her, in order to see how I like her. I'm a very experienced rider, having been on the back of a horse since I can remember, and though she's a "safe" choice, I'm wondering if her build will hold her back, as far as athletic ability goes. Yes, I know a draft cross will not have the speed nor endurance of a warmblood or quarter horse, and I'm alright with that. I'm just wondering--what are the pros and cons of having a wee bit of draft in the mix? I'm not into competing, and so she would only be used for trail riding, or perhaps barrels if I decided I was interested in heading in that direction.

If you'd like to see her, these are the pictures that were posted on her advertisement;
Click!
Click!
Click!
Click!

Thanks, and all opinions are appreciated!

Left Hand Percherons 10-28-2012 03:30 AM

Those shots don't really show her off at all but she does look nicely put together in those pictures. A little bit of draft will add some bone and a nice big foot which most quarter horses are lacking these days . She probably will not be terribly competitive at any one disipline but more of a solid pleasure mount.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 10-28-2012 09:28 AM

893 Attachment(s)
She is lovely. Id add her to my herd.
Posted via Mobile Device

SeemsLegit 10-28-2012 02:11 PM

I went to see her the other day to ride, and she was absolutely flawless. Best transitioning, so receptive, the perfect size, and so smooth! If all works out in my favor, I should be calling her mine shortly. C: Thanks for the opinion, you two! I've been in need of a pleasure mount.

churumbeque 10-28-2012 02:25 PM

I think her size is incorrect unless a midget is riding her.

SeemsLegit 10-28-2012 02:42 PM

Oh trust me, the size is correct. She's tiny, but I'm only 5' with no hope of growing, seeing as I'm already taller then my mother. Not quite a midget, but I suppose I'm technically not far off, either.

TheLastUnicorn 10-29-2012 01:44 PM

I quite like her... Seems to me the little bit of draft has only made her better.

SeemsLegit 10-30-2012 01:33 AM

I've test-ridden her twice and, if I can get the financials to work, I definitely want to buy her. Thanks a ton, for the opinions! C:

AllisonMarie 11-01-2012 07:09 PM

i've come across a couple percheron crosses and i've loved all of them. they're sweet and very smart breeds and definitely in my top favorites breeds because of their laid back personalities.

AllieJ333 11-02-2012 09:16 PM

She should be fine with trail and pleasure riding.