The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Question about horse I found?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/question-about-horse-i-found-141721/)

SunnyMeadeFarm 10-26-2012 08:38 PM

Question about horse I found?!

Okay, I was browsing HorseClicks.com.... and found this add:

Quote:

9 yr old riding breeding Gypsy Vanner Mare
Gorgeous, registered Gypsy Vanner mare . Misty has foaled a gorgeous filly and also my stunning stallion Sir Prize. She has amazing mane and tail. Trail rides and has done some demo work at Equine affair.

Asking Price: $38,000
9 yr old riding breeding Gypsy Vanner Mare for sale in Windham, Vermont :: HorseClicks

Like, okay, I have always been told by horse people, that the gypsy is a over rated meat horse that us Americans fall for and pay to much for.

This made me cough up, Shes a trail horse that happen to have one or two good foals, almost 40 grand for her? am I missing something? does she fly?

Just curious what others think. I love gypsies, our farrier and good friend breeds them, but dosen't ask that for them!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread! I wasn't sure.

Creampuff 10-26-2012 10:18 PM

I've seen a lot of folks asking too much for too little... If she did something, like Dressage (and had a lot of training for it, let alone showing) or jumping, I would maybe understand.

How about the yearlings I'm seeing... Doing ground work with papers for $1,000-2,000? It goes back to sentiment -- people don't want to sell sometimes, and need an excuse not to. ("No one bought her so I'm keeping her.") That or they're just trying to play on the 'must have a Gypsy' hype & make a few bucks.

Breella 10-27-2012 01:42 AM

It's like my last BO trying to get $800 for a grade three month old filly-- it's not going to happen.

Saddlebag 10-27-2012 10:55 AM

The breed is still fairly new in North America. Consequently, the well bred ones command high prices - for breeding. This happeneed with the Himalyan Cat, the first ones were $5000 and sold to breeders. Not any more, rather commonplace now.

boots 10-27-2012 07:23 PM

And my relatives in Ireland laugh that we even want to ride them. Until they were "discovered" by U.S. horse lovers, I'm told you could get a decent cart horse for $200.

I'd give more than that. Maybe $500, because they look stocky - like they could last through a day. But, I'd shave all that hair off which is probably taboo to the Vanner fans. I can get Haflingers pretty reasonable around here after their owners tire of pack trips.