The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/breeding-141763/)

ilovehorsesand ponys 10-27-2012 02:38 PM

breeding

i am going to breed my horse glory in murch hope it gose well any thought of name for the foal if she has one :-P

AlexS 10-27-2012 02:59 PM

What's the reason for breeding over buying an existing foal?

HollyLolly 10-27-2012 03:06 PM

Sounds to me that this post may ruffle some feathers unless the OP has a qualifying reason... Maybe that's the point though, some people like to ruffle feathers! I hope you have a good answer OP, or you might have a few people biting your ankles!

bigbayboy 10-27-2012 08:58 PM

sigh....

LadyDreamer 10-27-2012 10:45 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forum! How old are you?

Just so you know, you are very likely about to be told all the reasons why you should not do this. You have kicked a hornets nest. Don't feel bad. Don't run away. Don't leave the forum. Read and learn. That is what his place is for. Learning.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 10-27-2012 10:50 PM

I agree with ^^^ Lady Dreamer...

ilovehorsesand ponys 10-28-2012 01:32 PM

I want to breed my mare instead bc I want to be there from day one and train it me self if I bye one I done get the joy of seeing a new one join the world and to answer the person that asked how old I am I am 17. If she dose not take I will bye a foal.

MysterySparrow 10-28-2012 01:37 PM

Has your mare got good conformation? Has she done any showing or have good training? Is she registered? Is there anything about her that will add value to the foal in case you one day have to sell it for reasons you cannot at this moment foresee?

Shoebox 10-28-2012 03:31 PM

Unfortunately OP, everyone is right.... You're going to get a lot of people angry that you want to breed instead of buy one. Just PLEASE make sure the mare has good conformation and the stud, too. (I just asked about my own mare's confo - she is certainly not breeding stock.)

You'll get a ton of people most likely who don't believe in breeding unless the horse has proven itself in the ring / won X amount of shows or whatnot. Myself, I think that if you're not going to breed the horse for showing, that doesn't particularly matter.

Now, I'm going to get some hate for this I think, but I am also of the thought that winning in the show ring isn't genetic - Good conformation, the right build for the particular show skill, which is key in showing, is. (Also, good training.) Your horse could have won 100 medals, and so could daddy - but that won't mean the foal will at all. If they pass on their good conformation and you're a good trainer, now, that's what makes the difference. I don't believe a horse has to prove itself in the ring to be breeding worthy - as long as both animals have the proper build and the foal will have proper training, it can be wonderful in the show ring whether or not the parents have won 40 medals.

Now, I don't think that applies if your horse is registered with good bloodlines (As obviously you would want to keep those) and showing is a big part of what makes bloodlines 'good.' Or, if you're planning on selling anytime - show history adds value. As MysterySparrow said, you may have to sell in the future or unforseen circumstances. But if your just breeding a horse for your own pleasure, not as much. Even if you do plan on showing - I think that as long as the horse has the build and gets the training they will have as much potential as your neighbors horse with the same build and training, but with show history in the bloodlines. (Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well.)

To put it short: Make sure both horses are well put together before making the decision. Please think about adopting if the horse has any conformation flaws. My own mare, while I would love a baby of hers, has bad legs, and therefore I will not breed her. Instead I plan on adopting one. While I won't 'be there from day 1,' I will be saving a horse that might not have otherwise had a chance.

NBEventer 10-28-2012 03:40 PM

Umm.. are you looking to BUY a foal or bye a foal? If bye, then why bother? You can just visit a friends foal and say bye.

*wanders off innocently whistling*