The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Over the Knee horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/over-knee-horse-141768/)

TheSkipper 10-27-2012 03:32 PM

Over the Knee horse

1 Attachment(s)
I was looking at this horse and I noticed that he looks over the knee. Is this a bad over the knee or just slight? Do you guys think he would be able to jump and stay sound? I dont own him, but I was looking at his listing online and really liked him. He is on the track right now but his owner says he is completely sound, just too slow.

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2012 03:47 PM

He's not so much over at the knee as he is tied in behind the knee. I honestly don't see him jumping on a consistent basis and staying sound for any length of time.

MangoRoX87 10-27-2012 03:47 PM

I would never even consider jumping that poor horse...
Posted via Mobile Device

TheSkipper 10-27-2012 04:13 PM

If he is sound enough for the track why wouldnt he be able to jump small jumps? Im not trying to be rude I am just thinking that theyre both high impact. If I got him, he wouldnt be jumping much more than 18" for trails. I'm just trying to learn more about this

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2012 04:19 PM

Running is not nearly as high impact as jumping is. When running, the weight of the horse is more or less distributed evenly over all four legs. When jumping, at one point or another, the hind legs and then the forelegs bear the entire weight of the horse and rider. Add to this that, in addition to bearing the entire weight of the horse and rider, the forelegs bear the concussive force of that weight crashing down and forward onto them, this can lead to a horse with less than optimal conformation breaking down much more quickly.

Out on the trails, he'd be fine occasionally jumping a 12-18" log or what-have-you. You said nothing about trails in your original post, so we automatically assumed that when you said "jumping," you meant competitive jumping, like hunters or show jumpers.

TheSkipper 10-27-2012 04:20 PM

Whitehouse Ridge

This is his link. if you watch the video, you cant even see the the issue with his legs

DraftyAiresMum 10-27-2012 04:23 PM

Not sure what it is, but something about the way his front legs move in that video bothers me.

TheSkipper 10-27-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1734907)
Running is not nearly as high impact as jumping is. When running, the weight of the horse is more or less distributed evenly over all four legs. When jumping, at one point or another, the hind legs and then the forelegs bear the entire weight of the horse and rider. Add to this that, in addition to bearing the entire weight of the horse and rider, the forelegs bear the concussive force of that weight crashing down and forward onto them, this can lead to a horse with less than optimal conformation breaking down much more quickly.

Out on the trails, he'd be fine occasionally jumping a 12-18" log or what-have-you. You said nothing about trails in your original post, so we automatically assumed that when you said "jumping," you meant competitive jumping, like hunters or show jumpers.

Thanks for the info, but do you think occasional 2nd field foxhunting would be too hard on his knees? I go out about 3 times a season and since its second field, there would be a very limited amount of jumps. usually under 5.

TheSkipper 10-27-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1734911)
Not sure what it is, but something about the way his front legs move in that video bothers me.

I thought it was a little odd, but I figured he was "up" or thought he was being walked to the paddock or getting ready to be breezed. If you could hear the audio, you can hear a lady saying she brought another horse out.

SorrelHorse 10-27-2012 04:27 PM

I think you can find better. I mean, honestly, why risk an unsound horse when there are plenty of others out there?