The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Can I Show In Low Levels With This Saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/can-i-show-low-levels-saddle-141777/)

BornToRun 10-27-2012 06:40 PM

Can I Show In Low Levels With This Saddle?

I just purchased a black wintec 500 all purpose today. My dressage coach was telling about some walk/trot classes and how they would be a good stepping stone to moving my gelding up to busier shows. They're level one classes, would I able to use this saddle for them?

Golden Horse 10-27-2012 07:21 PM

Yup, you really don't need a full on dressage saddle until you are a little way up the scale, for intro and training you are fine in an all purpose.

BornToRun 10-27-2012 08:38 PM

Thanks!
Would I be alright just wearing a hunt coat, or do I need a real dressage coat?

BornToRun 10-27-2012 08:39 PM

Aha one more question. White breeches, or light ones?

Back2Horseback 10-28-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1735094)
Aha one more question. White breeches, or light ones?

I just finished reading another thread about this very thing...I believe it was on this first page of English Riding/"Dressage", and I believe the OP was wondering about bits for intro/training level showing.

I believe (though please check the thread because I don't want to misquote) that a few people said that a dark colored coat, such as navy blue would be fine, and that light colored, though not necessarily white, breeches should be acceptable, as would be a non-dressage english saddle.

The take home message I got from that other thread was that at the early levels, the judges are primarily interested in the basics having been properly trained regarding the horse, and ensuring that it is going willingly. Naturally there are rules; (it's literally been like 100 years since I've been to ANY SORT of horse show, let alone PARTICIPATED! This info I am relaying is all from the other thread I read therefore I really hope I am relaying appropriately!) and the rules will encorporate all the same things as at any show, such as acceptable/"legal" bits, clothing in general, the rules of the test, and various things like that, but it seems they are more relaxed about preciseness of clothing than at the higher levels. Of course you would want to appear well-put together and neat/tidy, along with your horse (sorry, I know this goes without saying, but I over-write!) :eye roll:

I would read through the rules of the particular show you are interested in and I would GUESS the information you seek will be included in the forms?

Good luck to you! Have FUN!!

gigem88 10-28-2012 08:54 AM

When in doubt call the show secretary! (I think that's the correct term)

Golden Horse 10-28-2012 12:11 PM

OP, here is a link to the rules and regs that cover dressage in Canada

Rules

I show in light tan breeches, standard black hunt coat, and usually a white, or cream ratcatcher shirt, I also have black paddock boots and chaps.

Tigo 10-28-2012 12:23 PM

I rode in a navy hunt coat my first year or two starting out in dressage because that's just what I had. The Dressage Canada rules say dark coloured or grey jacket - it doesn't specify between hunt or dressage...I'm pretty sure the biggest difference between the two is the amount of buttons down the front! lol. Also, Dressage Canada says light or white coloured breeches. It sounds like your attire is definitely appropriate for the level you want to show! :) Golden Horse posted the DC rules, which I find is a handy link too!

BornToRun 10-28-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1735528)
OP, here is a link to the rules and regs that cover dressage in Canada

Rules

I show in light tan breeches, standard black hunt coat, and usually a white, or cream ratcatcher shirt, I also have black paddock boots and chaps.

Thanks!!

Golden Horse 10-28-2012 04:15 PM

Oh, and some of it is clear as mud, so when I can't figure something out I come on line and ask, but point out that you are trying to clarify what you have read. Sometimes, not so much in this board, you get people who get quite snotty about people not doing their own research:wink:

Good luck with your shows, we will need to see pics when you go:D