The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Moving Up In Competition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/moving-up-competition-141785/)

BarrelRacer23 10-27-2012 09:00 PM

Moving Up In Competition

When you bought a better more competitive horse or just got better with the same horse, ever notice people treating you different?

I have. My old mare Patty was a slower barrel horse, she ran good and placed but she wasn't real competitive. "Friends" always used to compliment my runs say good job and such, even if I didn't think so I'd smile politely and say thank you. And now on my faster newer horse Link who I did all his training, he's just a higher caliber horse. I get people who I've never talked to telling me what a good horse he is and how good we are together, and alot of the people who've always told me good run before still do. But then there's the people who won't speak to me at all after a run anymore who used to. Doesn't really bother me, amuses me though. I'm not snobby about having a faster horse now, Im still the same person encouraging my friends and telling people good job. Just one of those things I don't get but have noticed.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 10-27-2012 09:32 PM

They like you when you aren't a threat. That's how it goes.

Me and Selena were not good the first equestrian team meet. Then we started doing gymkhanas for the seasoning and smoked the Junior division. Not a competitive division, but the other runners in it hated us. Now, next year, I will be winning nothing since I have to switch to a more competitive division. But as of right now, I took their money and they are not happy.

BarrelRacer23 10-27-2012 10:39 PM

I was always in the middle, I did 4H and the other contesters didn't like me because I my horse was good there. But at the NBHA/IBRA I ran 3D times at most shows, in a small pen she could get in the 1D. Little pen horse. And Link has just kept getting faster since starting, every show. He consistently runs in the 2D now about everywhere. Shows who your true friends are in the end I guess. Just pettiness and not worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 10-27-2012 10:47 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Oh absolutely! Very rarely does anyone talk to me at shows. Most of the times its children under 10 coming up to me to pet the "awesome horse" or say they want to ride like me. Its cute and im always polite.

People in my age group, they dont look twice as you as you come out.

I make sure if i see an awesome run, i say great job. I can usually spot a genuine horse person from the stuck up or wannabes and surround myself with those people with good vibes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 10-28-2012 12:02 AM

I had a similar situation outside of riding (I am still in the 'good try' level!) where I became very successful at a particular endeavour and people reacted the same as you have witnessed in your current situation.

The best way to deal with people like this is......BE KIND, SMILE ALWAYS, .....and kill em with kindness! Lol! :lol:

SorrelHorse 10-28-2012 12:09 AM

"Kill them with success, and bury them with a big smile." - Kwon Jiyong, G-Dragon. :lol: :lol:

BarrelRacingLvr 10-28-2012 01:18 PM

I have always sorta had the people I know that race come and tell me good runs and good job through the years I have been riding.

But I am a person that really doesn't have that much confidence in myself when I really should. And JJ changed things....he is a VERY talented and amazing horse that I have had the pleasure of raising and doing things from day 1 he hit the ground. The last couple years as he has been getting better and better I have had some pretty amazing comments from people. Not only on the horse but on me aswell.

And I have people who I don't even know coming up and telling after a run "great run!" "Good run, love your horse" "you looked great!". And that there really means a lot to me. I feel like I have accomplished a great thing with my horse. I have people who have done great things in the barrel/rodeo world give me some great compliments and advice.

And I think it is ALL in how you take the wins....if your snooty and have that attitude like your **** don't stink and you strut around gloating, your not going to get the compliments and nice comments. Like me....I could care less what I end up....to me it is ANOTHER run. Yes I am excited when I do good but I don't gloat, I may be happy and excited but I don't go strutting around like I am the queen. But I wasn't raised up to be that way. I have a friend whos horse is amazing and she is winning races right now...but I don't hear a lot of compliments from others, because she has the tude that nobody likes.

SorrelHorse 10-28-2012 07:19 PM

Yes, I agree completely with Bailey. The attitude changes things.

I don't have that attitude either. I came with an unknown horse and stole money this year; But I still stuck around and watched everyone and told everyone good job and smiled and enjoyed the company. I know Selena is not a rodeo caliber 1D horse. She's comfortable chilling in the lower D's and doing things that require consistency like at the gymkhanas. After this year, I will probably let a kid use her for equestrian team and buy myself a really nice rodeo horse or well bred prospect and start hauling places. For now though, I'm comfortable where I am, and so are my horses. I'm not going to pretend this pony is going to go to the NFR because she isn't, but she found a niche and we are both comfortable. Even though we've been winning, I don't feel we're anywhere near good enough to even develop self confidence, let alone a winning attitude.

When I run at SOBRA there is a lot of that attitude. I hate the atmosphere, but I love the money and the prizes. I don't socialize when I'm there except with a select few people. Doesn't bother me; Being solitary at races has its benefits. I can take their money without them even knowing I exist.

BarrelRacer23 10-28-2012 08:05 PM

There's alot of people in my area who think very highly of themselves and are very competitive. To say the least. It's a bit ridiculous actually. I've always been the quiet type, I don't say much. I've had my confidence put down quite a bit over the years by various people, Link has raised it alot. And no I dont usually gloat, I'm just happy to be running a nice horse and proud of him. He's mine, I picked him out I started him on the barrels, some people didn't think he'd make it. I'm glad no every place is like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

KeepCalmAndTrotOn 10-31-2012 12:01 AM

When I got my first horse, who is unregistered and has no professional training, I had only been riding a few months. And we just clicked. I went to a show up against top registered and trained horses. And we came home first in everything we showed in; halter, western pleasure, barrels, poles, & jackpot. Now nobody talks to me at the shows, but I get good compliments from the judges, lol.