The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Has anyone had any respitory problems feeding rice bran (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/has-anyone-had-any-respitory-problems-141823/)

cmarie 10-28-2012 01:12 PM

Has anyone had any respitory problems feeding rice bran

I just started my older mare on rice bran about two weeks ago now she has a bad runny nose, and is being treated for pneumonia.

A little back ground she is a 21 year old broodmare, never been sick a day in her life. A month ago she a very bad bout of colic was sure I was going to have to put her down, she was bleeding vaginally, had foaled a week prior, figured it was a twisted gut, she ended up casting herself in the fence upside down and it took me about 45 minutes to free her. During her time on her back the bleeding stopped and the twist much have righted it's self. Still now sure if it was colic or she ruptured an artery or what caused the vaginal bleeding vet was no help there or for after care because we were sure she wasn't going to make it. She pulled through the colic or what ever it was. But she lost a ton of weight she went from a plump broodmare to a bag a bones in a very short time. After the colic she had very bad projectile diarrhea for about a week. I gave her sand clear and probios thinking that may have been the problem and it may have been because after the round of sand clear she has stopped the diarrhea, so hopefully one problem down.

She is not picking up any weight yet, she seems to be having a hard time eating, her teeth were checked and don't need floating so I'm lost. It's almost like she had a stroke her eyes don't seem to focus all time sometimes she's just not there.

She is getting 4 lbs of senior feed, 2 lbs of a sweet complete feed, 2 lbs of rice bran, and 3 flakes of alfalfa grass mix hay twice a day which she doesn't finish, was getting it dry until the respiratory issues started now she gets it wet and warm which she likes better. I have checked her poop and it seems as though she is digesting her hay there is no undigested looking hay in it. So my questions are has any one had problems feeding rice bran? And can you suggest other feeding to get her weight up. I live in rural Nevada we don't have mills to make specialized feeds. Because of the diarrhea I'm hesitant in give any kind of oils. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SouthernTrails 10-28-2012 01:41 PM

I have not heard of that unless, the Rice Bran has gone rancid

Stabilized Rice bran is the best as it last longer, bu even so because of the high fat content it will still spoil fairly quickly, that could cause digestive problems, not sure about respiratory...

Make sure it is fresh and keep it in a sealed container.

cmarie 10-28-2012 01:50 PM

It is fresh and kept in a sealed container. I guess she's is just going to get everything now since she never has been sick before.

SaddleStrings 10-28-2012 01:52 PM

I assume you have been feeding the meal. You could try it in pelleted form, then maybe your pony won't be inhaling the dust from the meal?

poppy1356 10-28-2012 01:56 PM

Are you feeding 2lbs of rice bran twice a day? I've been told a max of 2lb of rice bran per day. So that would mean to cut her down to 1lb per feeding.

My mare has always had allergies so I haven't noticed a difference with rice bran. But allergies can cause pneumonia if the immune system is weak enough.

I use beet pulp crumbles. I just add some water then feed right away but you can soak them for 15 minutes if you think she will choke.

Flax oil was the best thing I used. Unfortunately my horse is intolerant to flax so that was a short lived weight gain. But if you can use ground flax instead of the oil.

I've always added water to all my feed that my older mare gets. Keeps any dust down and keeps all her supplements from being blown away.

cmarie 10-28-2012 01:58 PM

I haven't been able to find the pelleted form around here. I live rural and the feed stores don't have a wide variety to chose from, I'll have to ask if they can/will order it.

cmarie 10-28-2012 03:06 PM

I was only feeding the mixture once a day in the morning she gets hay twice aday, I started feeding the mash twice aday to get her meds in her so she gets 1/2 the ration mentioned above twice a day, sorry I wasn't clear on that. I've never had to deal with colic before, I did have a mare last year that twisted a week after foaling and she didn't make it to the hospital for the surgery died in the trailer on the way, so I have no experience with post colic care.

I should also note that I did move this mare to another pen away from her pasture mates/herd right after she foaled and put her in with another mare who had foaled right before she did. I am guessing that the stress from moving from one pen to another may have contributed to the colic. I have since moved her back in a pen right next to her herd and she has seemed to pick up slightly.

walkinthewalk 10-28-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmarie (Post 1735567)
I just started my older mare on rice bran about two weeks ago now she has a bad runny nose, and is being treated for pneumonia.

A little back ground she is a 21 year old broodmare, never been sick a day in her life. A month ago she a very bad bout of colic was sure I was going to have to put her down, she was bleeding vaginally, had foaled a week prior, figured it was a twisted gut, she ended up casting herself in the fence upside down and it took me about 45 minutes to free her. During her time on her back the bleeding stopped and the twist much have righted it's self. Still now sure if it was colic or she ruptured an artery or what caused the vaginal bleeding vet was no help there or for after care because we were sure she wasn't going to make it. She pulled through the colic or what ever it was. But she lost a ton of weight she went from a plump broodmare to a bag a bones in a very short time. After the colic she had very bad projectile diarrhea for about a week. I gave her sand clear and probios thinking that may have been the problem and it may have been because after the round of sand clear she has stopped the diarrhea, so hopefully one problem down.

She is not picking up any weight yet, she seems to be having a hard time eating, her teeth were checked and don't need floating so I'm lost. It's almost like she had a stroke her eyes don't seem to focus all time sometimes she's just not there.

She is getting 4 lbs of senior feed, 2 lbs of a sweet complete feed, 2 lbs of rice bran, and 3 flakes of alfalfa grass mix hay twice a day which she doesn't finish, was getting it dry until the respiratory issues started now she gets it wet and warm which she likes better. I have checked her poop and it seems as though she is digesting her hay there is no undigested looking hay in it. So my questions are has any one had problems feeding rice bran? And can you suggest other feeding to get her weight up. I live in rural Nevada we don't have mills to make specialized feeds. Because of the diarrhea I'm hesitant in give any kind of oils. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible if the rice bran is rancid and in meal form that it might cause colic but I sure don't see pneumonia as an issue.

I have been feeding equine pelleted rice bran for the last five years to four horses but two are overweight, so it's just the two mid-20's fellas now.

My only problem was bugs because the bag was so old the feed store should have sent it back instead of pushing it off onto me - they ended up having to take it back afterall:lol:

It sounds like this mare suddenly has a lot of issues, starting with colic right after foaling and the bleeding.

She could have ulcers causing the diarrhea. It would be no surprise, given all she's going thru (is she still nursing?) that a weakened immune system has caused the pneumonia<----is that the vet's diagnosis or someone else?

You haven't mentioned a vet anywhere. Were the meds received from a vet that actually examined the mare? Did a vet examine her teeth? I ask because those words "rural Nevada" can mean ranch life where long time and old time raisers of livestock make their own diagnoses or call the neighbor who has more experience and go from there.

If a vet saw this horse within the last couple weeks, perhaps you should get a different vet to look at her. She sounds to have a lot more going on than anything rice bran could cause which, rancid rice bran would more likely cause colic than pneumonia<----I'm still back on the weakened immune system.

Regarding the feed - I can see flaws, starting with the sweet feed, but that wasn't the question:-|

Good luck in getting her back to good health:-)

cmarie 10-28-2012 09:02 PM

Walkinthewalk: The vet said pneumonia and teeth were ok. The rice bran and pelleted feed was started after the colic, the sweet feed labeled as a complete sweet feed not sweet cob, if that makes a difference. Please give me your advice on what you feel I should add or take way. Vet was mentioned in my first post as not much help he is a large animal vet both equine and bovine.

Yes, she is still nursing the foal isn't even a month old he is being feed some of the senior feed also I have tried to give him the milk replacer pellets he wants no part of them. This mare has always been an easy keeper, never any issues now many issues, ulcers I never even thought about.

This afternoon the mucus is clear in stead of that gross yellowish green color which I'm hoping is a good sign, and not the other shoe getting ready to drop.

walkinthewalk 10-28-2012 09:16 PM

My apologies, somehow I missed the vet has looked at her:oops:

Clear liquid coming out of the nose is better than green and yellow, so it sounds like she is on the mend. But, for all she's been thru including foaling/nursing, I am betting her immune system has taken a huge hit and she needs built back up.

This is where I lose because I haven't had a nursing mare for over 50 years:shock::-(

I hope one of the breeders will come in and offer some suggestions as to what might work (that hopefully is available to you).

Regarding the feed, I can say "keep the senior, ditch the sweet feed". If you have a TSC close by, they should sell Purina and Nutrena, both of whom have foal starter feeds.

If you don't have that option, back in the old days before all these fancy feeds, everybody got fed Calf Manna. I'm not saying that's the right vit/min answer but I raised my Arab/Saddlebred from birth on it, and he made it to 29 years.

Again, that's another area of expertise I hope the breeders come in and comment. I don't feel I have the modern knowledge to give you the right answers:-)