The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   ill-fitted saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ill-fitted-saddle-141859/)

rmarty 10-28-2012 08:31 PM

ill-fitted saddle

I believe my horse is lame because of an ill-fitted saddle. I had her on bute and she got better so I took her for a ride not realizing that the saddle might be the problem and now she's lame again. I have her on bute again, but it's taking a long time for her to walk normal. When there is a shoulder injury involved by a poorly fitted saddle, how long does it take for the injury to heal and is there anything else I could be doing for that shoulder other than getting a new saddle that won't put pressure on it?

COWCHICK77 10-28-2012 09:03 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I am no vet, but I would venture to say that the horse being lame after the ride doesn't guarantee that the saddle is the issue. There is quite of bit of horse below the saddle.

Have you had your evaluated by a vet?

CLaPorte432 10-28-2012 09:47 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Most horses with an ill fitting saddle with throw a temper tantrum...not come up lame.

Id be having her checked by professionals. Vet, farrier, chiropractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 10-28-2012 09:50 PM

Has the horse been vetted, either time, for the lameness?

themacpack 10-28-2012 09:52 PM

If you think it is saddle fit you need to enlist the expertise of a saddle fitter (in the meantime you could post photos here - if it glaringly mis-fitting that will stand out and be apparent even just online).

Kayty 10-28-2012 10:12 PM

As said above, I'd certainly be exploring all avenues.
Get your saddle looked at by a professional fitter, and at the same time, have your horse assessed by either a vet or an equine physio.
Don't try to ride until your horse is feeling 100% and is lunging sound.
Buting just to ride is going to cause more problems, if you sprain your ankle and keep walking on it with painkillers, there's a very high chance of doing further, more permanent damage. Same goes for horses.

rmarty 10-29-2012 01:59 PM

my vet took x-rays and ruled out navicular and arthritis. My equine massage therapist didn't feel like there were any chiropractic issues either. That is why I'm now thinking saddle fit.