The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Horse Trust (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/horse-trust-141861/)

GabbyChand3004 10-28-2012 07:39 PM

Horse Trust

I've owned a horse for 2 years and I feel as though she doesn't know I own her. She's been to 5 different owners but I feel like we were meant ot be together. Yet when I call her in the paddock/pasture, her head goes up, she takes 2 steps and stops, then starts grazing again. Everytime that happens, my happiness drops! I feel like we don't have bond.... so I want to do trust excersizes, but I need help! Does anybody know different excersizes I could use? I really need help with it

tinyliny 10-28-2012 09:50 PM

She's a horse. HOrses prefer grazing. So, she doesn't come. Just go out get her. It isn't a big deal . Horses aren't like dogs. Sometimes they don't hook up like dogs do.

However, if you want to do ground work to hopefully create a better link, then there are some excersizes to do. There are just tons of them shown in videos and such, but they might not be labeled "exersizes for trust "
HOw is your connection to the mare when you ride?

Cherie 10-29-2012 10:58 AM

You are expecting a horse to act like a dog. They just aren't. This 'magical bond' is just BS. They are 'creatures of habit'.

If you call a horse, catch it out of a field, bring it in and give it grain and do a little grooming and then turn it back out, it will meet you at the gate when you call. You can think a horse meets you at the gate because it 'loves you and wants to be with you', but it is really coming out of habit, anticipation of being fed or scratched -- even if it is only for 5 minutes and a handful of grain in a tub tied to the fence.

I walk out in any pasture and every group of horses meets me at the gate. Every horse I own comes to me. I have 50 and there is not one that walks away from me. But, I am not delusional enough to think that they all have some magical bond with me. They all respect me. They all trust me. I know where every horses' 'itchy spots' are. I know what they all like. They never step on me or run over me. When I carry mineral to their mineral feeders or check them all over, I smooch and wave my arm and they quietly walk out of my way. Every horse just patiently waits for me to put a halter on if I want to.

So, first, I would say, get realistic about what a 'bond' is. Establish a relationship of respect. Trust comes from respect and a horse knowing they have a strong and competent leader. Above all -- be consistent! Be the same person and have the same rules EVERY time you interact with your horse. EVERY TIME YOU INTERACT WITH YOUR HORSE, YOUR ARE TRAINING HIM.

PunksTank 10-29-2012 11:28 AM

I have to disagree with the previous posters. My horses both come running to me in their field full of grass. You need to make yourself more appealing than grass. If everytime you go get her out of the paddock you make her work, or do something that's not as good as eating grass, she's not going to want to come to you. If 1 out of every 10 times you get her you do something fantastically wonderful she'll be willing to take that gamble.

The key to a strong bond isn't necessarily fancy exercises, though they help. The key really is just time. Spend as much time as you can with your horse, even if it's just reading a book in it's paddock. Spend time grooming her while she's grazing, find her particularly itchy spot and scratch it till her nose is twitching.

There are a number of respect building exercises, working on yielding to pressure. You may also want to look into Pat Parrelli's 7 games, I'm not a big Parrelli fan but I really like his 7 games. It's something fun you can do with your horse. Those are for teaching a horse and gaining their respect, which is important for building bonds.

Good luck, welcome to the forum - We love pictures here! ^^

GabbyChand3004 10-29-2012 03:09 PM

She's great! I ride her and we're SOO in synch. It's like she now what I want her to do before I signal. She's awesome when we ride

GabbyChand3004 10-29-2012 03:16 PM

Well you see thats the thing. My Aunt owns 3 horses and she says when you feed them they gain respet. Like yo said respect is trust so I feed her everyday. Plus most of the time when I go out I let her go to the sweet grass and graze instead of working. I fell like she doesn't need much work so she always eats the sweet grass. Plus I feed her grain and ALOT of treats, so when she stops I feel let down alittle. Plus I give her like 15 carrots in 25 minutes when shes good! So I don't know.Also we're thinking of moving. Would you suggest bringing her home, that she sees me everyday.?

GabbyChand3004 10-29-2012 03:19 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...W-_YENBg4dKlQR Heres a picture of my baby girl she looks alittle like this but her face isn't dished and she dosen't have a star. Isn't she pretty?

equiniphile 10-29-2012 03:42 PM

Well, seeing as that isn't your horse, I'm not sure you should be posting the picture :-?

Speed Racer 10-29-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabbyChand3004 (Post 1736828)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...W-_YENBg4dKlQR Heres a picture of my baby girl she looks alittle like this but her face isn't dished and she dosen't have a star. Isn't she pretty?

I wouldn't know how pretty your horse is, since this picture isn't of your horse. :?

Stop shoving treats in your horse's face and thinking that will make her love you. All that's doing is teaching her how to be pushy and rude.

And no, bringing her home isn't going to change anything except maybe make her nuts because horses need companions. She sees you as nothing more than a treat/food dispenser, and that's your own fault.

I boarded for many years before I brought my horses home, and it had nothing to do with them living with me or how many treats I gave them when it came to bonding. Spending time working with her in hand and under saddle will help your bond, not stuffing treats in her face and letting her do as she darn well pleases every time you see her.

wetrain17 10-29-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabbyChand3004 (Post 1736828)

Um, What? Do you not have pictures of your horse? That is what we would like to see.