The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What should I be feeding my horse?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ashlyn 
#1 ·
I have a 13 year old QH gelding. I was just wondering what kind of oats/vitamins/minerals I should be giving him?
He is no longer a rodeo horse, and he also has a breathing condition (had a paralyzed flapper). We ride about 4 times a week on average. Nothing to extensive, but we have done a bit of barrel racing.
What kind of feed/vitamins should I be giving him after he is exercised?
Thanks.

#3 ·
he is on a hay timothy mix, im not certain, new barn.
His condition is fine and stable, had surgery years ago, and his breathing is getting better as he is getting into better shape. I just dont work him too hard because he looses his breath easier than other horses.

#4 ·
The best thing for any horse is free choice hay. Make sure the hay he is getting is quality, not dusty and not moldy.

I prefer to feed a low starch/low sugar pelleted feed. Make sure any feed that he is getting is not dusty as it will aggravate his already sensitive respiratory system. For horses with breathing troubles of any kind I prefer to feed soaked feed. Soaked beet pulp or alfalfa cubes, adding the grain to that will keep the dust down and mix in any supplements. The amount of feed will depend on the horses height, weight condition, work load etc... and typically has to be adjusted threw out the year.

I would play around with herbal supplements to see if you notice one that offers him some support.

To name a few that I would try:
Garlic is excellent for respiratory health and a general healthy immune system. You can feed garlic cloves, dried garlic, order a horse supplement (like GarliC from smart pack) or feed human caps.
Fenugreek seeds/seed powder is good for respiratory health. (NOT for pregnant mares)
Raw natural honey has many wonderful benefits including respiratory.
Mullein is what my husband uses to treat his asthma and has worked with horses in the past for us.
Comefry can be used for respiratory.
Marshmallow root is good for supporting healthy mucus membranes.

Sometimes you can purchase just a little of each and offer them to the horse, he may pick for you. Although, this doesn't work so well for garlic as I have yet to meet one that will eat garlic willingly. I don't blame them :) when I take it as a supplement I swallow a clove whole!

#6 ·
There's really not enough information about your horse here for anyone to give you any kind of advice as to his diet. :)

The first question that we should ask is: How much does your horse weigh? I recently stumbled across a handy calculator, which should give you an approximate figure to go by. :)

Next, we should ask what his current condition is. Is he pleasantly plump? Or could he benefit from a few more pounds? Or maybe he's just about right! Pictures can be super helpful in determining this if you're not sure.

What is his work like? On a "not too hard" day for Mudpie, he's lounged with side reins for half an hour and then worked in walk, trot, and canter on the flat for an hour. Versus a "not too hard" day for someone else, which may be a leisurely trail ride, or maybe just a half hour ride around the arena. What does your ride typically consist of? :)

As for supplements, you'd have to look further into what it is that you want out of your supplements. It sounds like a supplement for respiratory health might be a good option! But your supplement plan should be uniquely designed to your horse.

:) Let us know, so that we can accurately help you out!

#7 ·
He has no problem keeping weight on in the winter. He can also get a little chunky aswell. he weighs 1100 currently.
also, not so hard, meaning about one hour rides around the arena, 4 times a week. running barrels, walking trotting loping, working on stops ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.