The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What To Do When Winter Strikes! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-do-when-winter-strikes-141885/)

Lynxlover 10-29-2012 01:18 AM

What To Do When Winter Strikes!

Hey guys! I was wondering, as the whether gets colder and colder, what are some fun things to do with your horse to keep them fit and entertained? My horse and I love to jump, as well as do dressage. He is very smart and likes to be challenged. Anyone got any good ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 10-29-2012 01:21 AM

Trail riding, hills and obisticals!
I'm working alk winter to get ready to show in the spring!

Paintlover1965 10-29-2012 01:31 AM

Do you have access to trails to ride during the winter? I ride my horses all year outside on our trails as our BO plows them in the winter. I also find riding in the deep snow on the trails that aren't plowed quite a workout for them too. You just need to start out slowly to build up their endurance. It's a lot of fun! My Canadian mare is great in the winter as she gets a great workout pulling the sleigh and our non horse riding friends and family get to enjoy an afternoon sleigh ride and hot chocolate.

Lynxlover 10-29-2012 01:48 AM

Yes I do have access to trails, my horse loves them! The only problem is if I want a long trail ride the only option is to go down a hill that can get pretty slick in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 10-29-2012 10:25 AM

Lynx, don't ride straight down the hill. It's easier on the horse's joints if you ride a zig-zag pattern. Cattle build trails like that.

horsecrazed09 10-29-2012 12:53 PM

If u don't pull shoes in the winter and I highly suggest u do to keep ice from balling in the shoe u can use Pam cooking spray to keep the ice out of the hoof for your ride it should help with slickness

Lynxlover 10-30-2012 01:38 AM

Okay. And I know not to ride straight down, however the trails a road with a ditch on either side and its hard to find good footing.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazed09 10-31-2012 02:19 PM

You could always get down and walk it