The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ear mites (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ear-mites-141926/)

luvlongears 10-29-2012 03:23 PM

Ear mites

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of ear mites? Both our mules and horses have them. We have been using oil but it is not helping. One of the mules has them in both ears (poor baby) and some of the others only seem to have them in one ear, and my big mule is itching but I can't see any evidence inside the ear which probably means they are way down inside the inner ear. Not good. What do we need to do to get rid of these things??

Elana 10-29-2012 08:07 PM

I have never had a horse with ear mites. I would suggest you talk to a veterinarian first and make sure that is the problem and take your vet's suggestion on treatment.

Tarpan 10-30-2012 02:40 PM

I don't think horses get ear mites. Are you sure it isn't ticks? I'd have the vet out to look at them ASAP.

Chevaux 10-30-2012 04:30 PM

As others have queried - is it definitely ear mites? I didn't think they were a horse thing. Perhaps a tiny little fly? I've had trouble with them before. They seem to bother horses more that have had the inside of their ears clipped (which is why I do not do mine). In my case, the vet suggested mineral oil with a tiny bit of pesticide added to it and it worked. Have a chat with your vet and see what he/she thinks of that idea.

As an fyi, for cats that I have gotten with ear mites my vet uses an oral dose of medication with ivermictin in it. Not very much but it's enough to poison the cat's blood to kill the mites. He uses that over ear drops because once the mites get way down in the ear, the ear drops won't necessarily reach them.

Tarpan 10-30-2012 04:57 PM

I've used 1% cattle ivermectin undiluted to treat for ear mites in the past. For dogs and cats it is a drop in each ear. I don't think horses get ear mites though, plus they are a lot more sensitive to ivermectin then cats and dogs.

Perhaps rub some swat into their ears and along the margins to offer relief from biting insects until you can get them to a vet? But see a vet, or at least call the vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 10-30-2012 05:39 PM

I too have never heard of ear mites in horses.
However, ear mites or ticks or a fungus, get some neem oil and put a few drops down the ear and wipe the upper ear with a cloth and some neem.