The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Slow Feeder Ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/slow-feeder-ideas-141945/)

karliejaye 10-29-2012 07:32 PM

Slow Feeder Ideas

4 Attachment(s)
Anyone out there make slow feeders to try and make their horses eat slower? My gelding is pretty good at eating slowly on his own, but the mare I have here for a friend is a bit of a vacuum when it comes to food.
I did some research and while I really wanted to make some feeders out of hockey puck netting, I couldn't find any for an economical enough price.

So, I just made these feeders out of a 55 plastic barrel cut in half and the small mesh hay nets (SMHN) from Dover that I found on sale. I removed the string that cinches the top up, and I use a double ended snap to gather up all the loops and shut it (13 loops per snap end). I then use a second double ended snap and a large metal ring to secure the net inside the half barrel so they don't throw them all over the place.

I chose not to tie the nets up because I like the horses to have their heads down while eating to encourage natural salivation and decrease choking risk.

I just introduced the nets yesterday and the horses seem to do well with them. My gelding couldn't care less, and the mare was only pissed off for about 20 minutes the first feeding.

I am curious how many others have come up with DIY slow feeder system? Let's see some pictures and swap ideas!

Spotted 10-29-2012 07:37 PM

Great idea ! I use slow feed hay bags too. I also use the slow feed net for round bales. I love them!

HarleyWood 10-29-2012 09:05 PM

Spotted where did you get the hay nets for the round bales? my boys eat a 1200lb in a week.. three horses...

Muppetgirl 10-29-2012 09:06 PM

Good idea!!!!!

WickedNag 10-29-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyWood (Post 1737175)
Spotted where did you get the hay nets for the round bales? my boys eat a 1200lb in a week.. three horses...

Cinch Chix - Cinch Chix - Home of the Cinch Net Hay Feeder

Spotted 10-29-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyWood (Post 1737175)

Natural horse world was the cheapest in the world that I could find. They were $109.00, but I think the price went up to $130.00. with thicker netting
SlowFeed Hay Saver Net - Natural Horse World

With shipping it cost me about $200, but well worth it. I saved huge in just a couple months. I also found the bags for $7.99 from chicks saddlery, but can't seem to find them now.

Spotted 10-29-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedNag (Post 1737199)

The prices look decent. hopefully they get better . I'm always looking for good prices :)

skeeterbit 11-04-2012 05:33 PM

My slow feeder

2 Attachment(s)
Have a stalled TWH that is a fussy hay eater. Were he is stalled we are unable to turn the horse out to graze on grass unless we are there but have a large riding arena to ride. Bedding is a sand base with pine pellets. Feed is Alfalfa based pellets w/15% fat. When we bought the horse he was malnourished but since has put on 150-200 pds and now looks good. Unknown what the eating habits were in Tennessee (do know it was not enough). When we brought him to Louisiana, we tried for a month to cut him over to Coastal Bermuda and Bahia. All he would do was throw it around and would not eat it the hay. You would think a horse that was starving would eat anything. He will graze grass normally. Had teeth floated (teeth were good) but went to a hay stretcher pellet cause we were starting to become concerned about fiber. This went on for about a month. Started mixing some Alfalfa with the Bermuda, he would eat the Alfalfa but throw the Bermuda on the ground so the stall was a wreck. Found some Timothy mix rough hay, he seemed to eat it but still threw the Bermuda that was mixed on the ground. OK, finally found something the horse will eat.
Ran across a site for a commercial made barrel "slow hay feeder" and thought before I spent the money to buy one, I could make one to see if it would work. Went to YouTube and found videos of a slow feeder box that looked easy enough to make. One sheet of 3/4 CDX will build a box large enough to easily fit one 2 string bale. For the top grate I used 4"x2" dog fence framed with 2x4. Put a whole bale of the Bermuda that he would not eat before into the box and mixed a pad of Alfalfa across the top to get him used to the box. We pulled the hay up thru the grate to better resemble grass he would graze on. That first night, the grate dropped about 3". Watching him yesterday at feeding time, he would rip the hay from the top of the grate, just like he would rip grass from a field. You don't have to pull the hay up thru the grate each time, he can still use his lips to pull pieces of hay, but it was interesting watching how he thought he was grazing in a field. He is now eating the hay he would not touch a month ago as long as he can get a stand of Alfalfa mixed with it. Waste has gone to ZERO, hay stays clean, no sand (colic?) and no shavings get mixed with it. Poop has gone from cow piles to normal.
Now this has me thinking..... There is a article on this link: Horse Health that has me re-evaluating. Have a Two Eyed Jack quarter horse that we stalled for two years in Louisiana that we recently moved to Tennessee. While he was in Louisiana he ate 3 pads of Coastal Bermuda in the morning and 3 in evening from a hay rack with little waste BUT had colic at least 4 times that I know of. Took him the last time he had colic to a Amish vet in Tennessee. Diagnosis was ulcers but not yet bleeding. He now gets a daily dose of yeast, stalled during the day but now is able to free graze at night and is doing fine. I am starting to believe the problem may have been stall boredom. He would eat his feed and hay and have to wait until the next feeding to eat again. If he would have been able to nibble on hay throughout the day whenever he wanted, would we have had the colic problem? We ride our horse 2/3 times a week in Louisiana but still don't exercise them like we should. When we go to Tennessee, 10 to 23 mile trail rides are normal.
The slow hay feeder has given me that ability to test different hays, keep the stall clean, don't have clean the sand or shavings out of his hay and maybe help with a stall boredom issue. I now believe that they are a good tool. Attached are two photos. My daughter did kind of spice it up with some field roughage. The grate dropped at least 3" in 13 hrs.:D
Attachment 117073

Attachment 117074

flytobecat 11-04-2012 05:44 PM

They don't eat the net or the grate?

karliejaye 11-04-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytobecat (Post 1744086)
They don't eat the net or the grate?

:lol:

I am sure some try to. I have been using the nets, secured into the barrels for about a week now, and they are very content. The obese appy was sure mad at first, and she did try biting the net, but it held up and she learned that small bites get better results.
The nets do take a beating when being introduced. Before I clipped the nets in, the mare threw a fit and hurled the bag over the fence on accident.
Horses have amazingly nimble lips that can separate out the hay from the inedible net. :-)