The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How do you do it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-do-you-do-141974/)

alexis rose 10-30-2012 12:02 AM

How do you do it?

How do you all find the time to shovel poop, clean out feet, brush and then have the time and energy to ride? I have my two horses and donkey in a small pen because we recently moved here and are working on building a bigger fence so the shoveling poop is almost constant. I spend every day off doing nothing but feet and shoveling. I finally saddled up and rode Shadow a bit today but she was acting up because of the wind. I am just feeling frustrated. I need to figure out a better routine......

DancingArabian 10-30-2012 12:09 AM

I can go from paddock gate to in the saddle in about 10-15 minutes. I usually dawdle and take longer but I can step it up when I need to. My horse is groomed and gets his feet picked before every ride.

Maybe you need to break up your chores into multiple spurts during the day?

Saskia 10-30-2012 12:45 AM

If they're in an area that needs to be cleaned everyday I'd just ride in the morning, and clean in the evening, or vice versa.

Otherwise, feet take what, not even five minutes, and if you don't need to give an in depth grooming everyday.

Or I ride and then clean the paddock.

You just make time for the things you like, and the responsibilities that come with it.

BarrelracingArabian 10-30-2012 01:12 AM

The barn i used to ride at we had to clean atleast 2 stalls includong our own ride then feed and water 5 horses each after wards during the summer we had all the time in the world during winter we had 3 hours. It can be done you just need to pace yourself maybe spread your chores out
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 10-30-2012 01:22 AM

I hear ya! very hard to get motivated after the chores.

caseymyhorserocks 10-30-2012 01:27 AM

Cleaning a 50x100 pen with two horses in it 24/7, dumping wheelbarrow, and picking out 8 hooves takes me about 40 minutes at the maximum, plus 20 minutes to fill up water, soak and prepare a feed, and fill up two haynets. You just need to teach yourself how to multi-task, split up the tasks, and speed clean.

Kayty 10-30-2012 01:28 AM

Time management ;)
I used to be a dawdler and thought everything too ages to complete around the horses. Then I started working full time AND started an art commission business - I sharpened up pretty **** quickly! Like DA, I can have a horse out of the paddock, groomed, tacked up and be in the saddle within 10-15mins. Takes me 10minutes to clean two yards and turn over the sawdust.
Cleaning feet takes all of 1 minute, maybe 2 if its winter and they're packed.

You just need to speed up!

I get up at 6am, go for a run, feed/rug/paddock the horses, at work by 8.30am, finish work at 5pm, straight to the horses, ride, feed etc. Home by 7pm, get housework done, then start on some commissions.
It IS possible!!

deserthorsewoman 10-30-2012 01:31 AM

I can relate to that.
My routine with two horses in a small paddock and a run in shed:
Mornings it's raking all old hay together in a pile, give grain(not really grain tho), then give hay, after I weighed the nets with the leftovers, then I clean the run in, put the leftover hay in there for bedding, go pick poop, and get the lunch hay and grain portion ready. Approximately. 40 minutes.
At lunch I feed, pick the poops while I fill up water and get the nets ready for evening. 15 minutes.
in the evening its just giving grain, hang the nets and pick the poop...another 15 minutes.
if you think a little and split up the chores, you'll have time to ride;-)

Spotted 10-30-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1737487)
Time management ;)
I used to be a dawdler and thought everything too ages to complete around the horses. Then I started working full time AND started an art commission business - I sharpened up pretty **** quickly! Like DA, I can have a horse out of the paddock, groomed, tacked up and be in the saddle within 10-15mins. Takes me 10minutes to clean two yards and turn over the sawdust.
Cleaning feet takes all of 1 minute, maybe 2 if its winter and they're packed.

You just need to speed up!

I get up at 6am, go for a run, feed/rug/paddock the horses, at work by 8.30am, finish work at 5pm, straight to the horses, ride, feed etc. Home by 7pm, get housework done, then start on some commissions.
It IS possible!!

I think that entitles you for a really good holiday

Kayty 10-30-2012 01:35 AM

I'm trying spotted!!! But don't have time at the moment for a holiday, have got so much to do.
Though I am in the process of trying to move my riding horse up to a full care agistment centre, so I won't need to feed in the mornings, and can just go up to ride after work. My 2 year old and retired mare can come back to my property now that the 2 year old is sane enough to not kill himself on the hills. Should make life a little easier and free up a bit of time.
My OH will be happier with that arrangement, I hardly get to see him as it is.
Also hoping to start a new career next year, in the process of going through Police recruiting, so another 12 months of working my butt off with no spare time - will hopefully be worth it in the long run.