The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess This Horse's Breed? + new pics!

10K views 76 replies 22 participants last post by  badger101 
#1 ·
I posted a while back about my horse and what breed you all thought she was.
She is 14.3 or 15 hands ( I'm so bad at measuring :lol: ) and about 12 years old (so she's finished growing). She is also fleabitten, which I know is more common in certain breeds than others.

So first off, does anybody else get some arab feel when you're looking at her?
I don't have any pictures of her running, to show you her tail, but her tail actually curls on top of her back. She's not just flagging it... it's CURLED. :shock: Are there any other horse breeds, other than the arab, that do this?

Second, what breed distinctions have you noticed? Quarter horse butt? Thoroughbred shoulder? Is there anything that just screams a certain breed to you?

Lastly, take a gander on what breed she is. I know it's impossible to know for sure without papers (sadly, she either had them lost or never had them in the first place). Just help me out, guys! :D Thanks!

Pics! :
I'm sorry, but if I don't post just the links, the images would be HUGE.

This was when we first got her (from a rescue)- http://i46.tinypic.com/ejao3n.jpg

Now-
http://i45.tinypic.com/120rw9d.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ymhks2.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/33newp1.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2jazqpy.jpg

If you need any better ones (or certain parts of her body/angles

See less See more
#14 ·
Thanks! And no, I don't know for sure. I'm wanting some educated guesses.

I was told by a rescue that she was a QH/Appaloosa cross.
I was like... no. Just no. :lol:
Most horses that I've worked with have been TWH, QH, TB, Appaloosa, Paint and some pony breeds.
I know that she isn't a full stock horse. She just looks too fine in some places to be a bulky stock horse. She has a big body, which seems QH (or some other stock breed), but then a narrow body, neck, and face.

All the stock horses I know are ROUND barreled. :lol:

#11 · (Edited)
To me has a QH build and looks dainty/fine in the face and head like an arab. The ears almost have that arab look just a little too. Hard to tell. Though I have seen Appendix QHs that look very similar to her. Several of our white arabs when I was younger had flea-bitten coloration which makes me think possibly some arab in there. It is so hard to tell from pictures and sometimes you can't tell when they are standing a two feet away from you. She looks like a very sweet horse. :)

Also her height, arabs are typically on the smaller side. Most appendix QH's I have seen are pretty leggy.

#12 ·
Yea... I agree with what people have said.. But I now also suspect it's maybe more like QH/Tb/Arab or something, because she kind of resembles a thoroughbred i once knew. also one thing people didn't take note of was her height. Is she something like 14.3-15.1?

#15 ·
She is either 14.3 or 15 hands.

I keep thinking TB when I look at her withers. Her withers reminds me of a TB I knew before. Buuut, her legs aren't long enough to be a TB. /facepalm

What about her reminds you of a TB?

#13 ·
I see QH in the forearm, the hip and the croup. I see Arab in her bc she is lighter boned than a QH that size. I see no TB in her at all. If she was a QH/TB cross she would be leggier. BTW, is she is 1/2 Arab the lighter bone doesn't mean she can't carry weight.
Whatever, she IS a keeper. =D

#16 ·
I agree about her being more leggy if she had TB in her. If she does have TB influence, it didn't go to her legs! :lol:

Oh, she IS definitely a keeper. c:
She has truly been every I could ask.
I got her unbroke (I was told she was green...), so I thought "OH CRAP. How am I going to do this alone?" But she turned out to be the quickest learner. She still has an attitude when it comes to not wanting to listen or slow down, but that'll take time.

If this helps anyone else:
She seems to be an all-around horse.
Her movement is quick, floaty, and animated. (Definitely not lazy!)
I'd say she'd be best at english pleasure compared to western pleasure since she likes to go fast.

She has the speed and quick turning for gymkhana, the scope and ping for jumping, and the curiosity and courage for cross country/trails.

She isn't always the most tolerant horse when it comes to leg pressure, but she is forgiving of a bad seat and hands. I had my mom get on her (note: she only rode a few horses in her life, and that was when she was young) and she was so tolerant! When I get on her sometimes... not so much. :lol:
She knows who she has to be careful around (kids, older and disabled people, etc.) and she knows who she gets to test/mess around with (me!).

#19 ·
She has very prominent features of both breeds, stockier built, but too refined to be a pure QH, ears and eyes are Arab, then as you describe her, tail curled=Arab. Floating movement = Arab. Tail set lower, rounded butt= QH.
Also the going fast I've seen a lot in quarabs and the knowing who's on board and giving a hard time to the knowledgeable rider;-)
To be 1000% sure I would need to see her move, tho

#29 ·
Where do you see lazy exactly?
I thought she was pretty hyped up that day, but she was jumping before this was taken (notice the jumps on the left?). The other horses kept distracting her, so she wasn't quite listening and maybe that came off as lazy.

She's typically really ... crazy. Not in a bad way, but she doesn't want to be told to stop or slow down. She has taken off with me in a gallop, ran up steep hills, jump a creek, etc. just because she wanted to. She just didn't want to stop. :lol:
But now she's gotten better trained, except the canter. She'll buck and bolt occasionally.

#30 ·
What about the video makes you so sure of Arab?

And I do have a question about the eyes...
so she will look at me and I can see the whites of her eyes sometimes. Not all the time, but usually when she turns to look at me. Straight on, her eyes show no whites. Do apps ALWAYS have the whites showing, or only sometimes? I know all horses do when they look certain ways, but I just want to check my facts here.

I'll try to find a pic of her eyes showing the whites.

#36 ·
Tb's ,Quarters, Appys all can have a refined head. Arabs usually have a Dished face and very small muzzle. Tbs are common around 15 hands, not all are bred for racing . Many quarters have TB , in them , as well as some Appys.
So I still stick with Quarter horse.. OR quarter Type, might be a better term

#37 ·
A purebred QH of with her color is extremely rare. I am sticking to QH/Arab. Especially given the flea-bitten coloration, I think there is some arab in her by her movement and she does look to me to have some slight dishing in the face. Not overly obvious but. more so than a QH.

Hard to say. Sometimes a crossbred inherits more physical features from one side than the other.

#38 ·
If you look at her head, she definitely has some arab in her somewhere. I don't know anything about quarter horses as they are still not too common in the UK so I can't comment on that. She could have some Connemara in her too, especially with her colouring. No matter what breeds are in her makeup, she looks a super pony. Enjoy her!

#39 ·
Thanks everybody for answering!
Her soreness and stiffness could have been from needing her hooves trimmed too.
I'm not quite sure at how many weeks out from the farrier the video was taken.

Her face is slightly dished, but not overly like arabs typically have.
There's a quarab at my barn, and she looks more arab based on her petiteness.

It could be she just inherited the stocky body from the QH and shoulder to head from the Arab or whatever other breed.

Do either breeds have light feather on their legs? She does have some if that changes anything.

One of her hooves has striping on it, but I'm thinking it's from her white sock (which is only visible when it's wet).

#42 ·
Its really difficult to comment on 'breeds' as in the UK we have different terminology. If she has feathering on her feet then she has a 'wild pony' in her somewhere. We have some horses called Gypsy Vanners or Welsh Cobs who are pony sized horses with feather. Have a look at some of the British native breeds on the net: Highland Ponies, Welsh Cobs, Dartmoor ponies. I have a feeling you will see a lot more of her heritage but going way, way back. No doubt that she has Arab and Connemara in her somewhere though. Get her seen by a good farrier who will balance her feet for you and sort out any problems. She is sooooo pretty!

#43 ·
I actually thought she had some welsh cob in her for a while, but then I dropped the idea. Maybe I'll keep those breeds open-minded.

Her feet are fine right now. It took her a while to get used to the idea of having her hooves done, though.

And thanks! I first found out about her without even seeing her picture. Once I found a picture (which was an awful one of her at that!) nobody could understand why I would want her. It was a TERRIBLE shot of her. Once I got her home and groomed up, she sparkled. O:
Point is: don't judge horses by their appearance. You never know what might be under the surface layer. c;

Reactions: Bluebird
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.