The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Riding tights/breeches for short women?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/riding-tights-breeches-short-women-142047/)

wbz 10-30-2012 08:41 PM

Riding tights/breeches for short women??

This isnít exactly about show clothing, but Iím new and havenít learned the ropes of the forum yet so Iím not sure if Iím posing in the right area.

Iím looking to buy schooling tights/breeches (preferably tights actually since Iíve been riding in yoga leggings and really like the stretch and light-weight :-). However, Iíve come cross the problem that all the pants I've tried on so far are too long and the patches don't hit on my legs where they are supposed to because Iím short (and for this reason Iím also preferably looking for a low-rise pair). I was wondering if anyone else out there is short and has any suggestions/experience with this (Iím petite, 5 ft, about 110-120 lbs but have curvier hips so am not sure if kidís breeches will fit Ė and Iím going to order some online because of price/selection, so wanted to do some research first!)

If anyone has any brands that tend to fit shorter women or even specific tights/links, that would be awesome! Iím looking for both a schooling knee-patch tight and a full-seat tight (and possibly a bit later on a pair for showing dressage).

Thanks!!

Joe4d 10-30-2012 11:27 PM

Try saddlebums, Saddle Bums riding tights for equestrian disciplines in padded endurance racing tights, dressage riding tights, English riding tights, Western riding tights, padded tights, padded shorts, western apparel, english apparel and gifts.

verona1016 11-02-2012 12:47 PM

I know exactly what you mean- I've been riding in running tights since I wore holes in my last pair of breeches and found out that the manufacturer stopped making that style! I don't think I can go back to regular breeches after the freedom of movement riding in tights! I haven't tried these yet myself, but Irideon makes petitie riding tights.

ETA- also, if you're slimmer than me, you can get the Kerrit's tights in kid's sizes. I got a pair, and they're great length-wise, but I think I'm a little too curvy for them...

Corporal 11-02-2012 12:51 PM

If you're NOT showing, I would suggest jean breeches. IMO, I want some real fabric between the saddle and my legs. TOO many breeches have worn out bc the fabric is too flimsy. Also, do you have a tack shop closeby? Try them on. I bought my DD a pair a few years back, and she appreciated trying them on first. The sizes don't necessarily match up to pant sizes, and I think that is your concern here. I think they cost about $55.00/pr. and they are really holding up.

aeosborne2002 11-02-2012 01:02 PM

I'm 5'3" and have found the Riding Sport brand (Dover Saddlery) to work well for me.

wbz 11-02-2012 01:23 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I'll look into all these ideas :)

commonfish 11-08-2012 11:45 PM

I am 5' 3'' (125 lb) and have been riding in Kerrits tights all summer. I have a long torso and really short legs, but their regular length has been fine. The knee patches are a bit long, but it's not bad. I've had on a pair of children's Kerrits too (got sent a kid's M rather than a ladies) and while I think the XL (children's) would fit well, the knee patch might be too small for me- I'd want to try them on before buying to be sure.

wbz 11-09-2012 12:30 AM

Hey commonfish - I actually just bought a pair of Kerrits tights and found the exact thing you did! (tried on both a ladies XS and S, which I went with, and they fit awesome!) They're a tiny bit long but work pretty well, especially compared to all the other brands I tried. Also, just In case you were wondering, I got to try on a Kids XL but found that they just didn't fit as well as the womens since the top of the pants at the back felt a lot lower (being curvier than a kid, there's not as much material in the childrens sizes to make up for covering more surface area :) haha