The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Aggressive Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/aggressive-horse-142067/)

horse2ride 10-30-2012 11:38 PM

Aggressive Horse

I really need some help..My 12 yr TW is being very mean to our 32 year old horse and our other 12 yr..He is worst to the older one. He runs him off chases him wont let him in the barn. Its very upsetting because he is so old he will not fight back. He does it some to the other horse but not as bad, she will atleast get in the barn. I also have a mule and they get along pretty good.. I really dont know what do do, we dont have stalls so i cant close him up, but oh how I would like to...The barn is plenty big enough for all of them. We had6 horses and during the summer they would all be in the barn, sometimes the older would be to, but most of the time he would just put his head in..Now my TW wont even let him do that...We sold two of the horse a couple of months ago so its just the four of them and they have been together for 5 or 6 years if not longer..The TW has always kind of been aggressive towards these two, but not this bad..

Thunderspark 10-30-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horse2ride (Post 1738477)
I really need some help..My 12 yr TW is being very mean to our 32 year old horse and our other 12 yr..He is worst to the older one. He runs him off chases him wont let him in the barn. Its very upsetting because he is so old he will not fight back. He does it some to the other horse but not as bad, she will atleast get in the barn. I also have a mule and they get along pretty good.. I really dont know what do do, we dont have stalls so i cant close him up, but oh how I would like to...The barn is plenty big enough for all of them. We had6 horses and during the summer they would all be in the barn, sometimes the older would be to, but most of the time he would just put his head in..Now my TW wont even let him do that...We sold two of the horse a couple of months ago so its just the four of them and they have been together for 5 or 6 years if not longer..The TW has always kind of been aggressive towards these two, but not this bad..

Sounds like your TW wants to keep himself at the top of the ladder! I've got 4 horses and 1 boarded here. I had 3 and my best friend moved her horse here last year and she's at the bottom of the ladder. My best friend passed away this May and left her horse to me, her horse is 18 now and she finally is starting to stand up for herself but I can't say the others have been that agressive.....the only time is at supper time, my appy gelding will run out her neck out and teeth showing, I just have to yell his name and he stops now. What I did with him was when he went after her I would chase him away and make him wait, now he pins his ears at the others but he doesn't take after them like he used to.....maybe try chasing your TW away, take a lunge whip in with you and make him stay back. I know my one knows now if I am out there and she sticks close that they won't bother her......you might have to show your TW you're the alpha and not him.....
Maybe some others might have the same problem and respond to your question.

Spotted 10-31-2012 01:37 AM

My boss gelding gets like that every once in a while. What I do is lounge him infront of the others, until he shows submissive signs. After that he is smartens right up. I feel guilty, because he looks sad, but he treats the horses better after.