The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When Life Throws Me Lemons... Why Not Make Lemonade? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-life-throws-me-lemons-why-14207/)

FutureVetGirl 09-01-2008 12:39 PM

When Life Throws Me Lemons... Why Not Make Lemonade?

Ok... this is... well... interesting. I'm hoping to eventually start working for this guy... but for now... I have to do his way of riding and so on. I won't be leasing. Pretty much what it is... is... well... renting. I get thirty days to ride. No idea if it'd be on only one horse... or on several. I can go on trails, I can ride on the track, and I can go pretty much wherever I want to. WITH this guy... (if it's on any trails).

I'm seriously annoyed... because I was hoping to work on things with myself and the horse... but since I'm RENTING... I won't be able to do that...

Pretty much what it is is this: I get an hour or two a day (more if it's a trail ride truly up in the mountains), for thirty days. The thirty days can be spread out among two or three months if desired. So it's an arrangement not to "lease" a horse, but to RIDE the horse. From what I know... all I get to do is ride... and nothing else. Which seriously SUCKS. But it is honestly the ONLY thing available.

But... like the name of this thing... "When Life Throws Me Lemons... Why Not Make Lemonade?"

Well... how on earth DO I make Lemonade out of these Lemons? Any suggestions for me? Should I make up a list of goals that I want to accomplish in my riding? Or what? I'd like to know what people think of this situation... and what YOU would do if you were in this situation... :?

Broken A Ranch 09-01-2008 01:29 PM

ok .. I am confused to what is going on. You are being hired as an exercise rider and you want to do something else?

I would like to help but Im confused

Cat 09-01-2008 01:50 PM

Its not quite clear to me - but if I am understanding properly, you want to lease a horse so you can go off riding alone, but instead you are limited to "renting" so you have to ride with this guy anytime you go out. Correct?

If that is the case I would make a list of what you want to accomplish and pick his brains and see what you can learn from him. Maybe he can give you better insight into riding and also, if you do want to work for him, this will give you and opprotunity to learn how he does things and to prove yourself so you get a chance to work for him.

And most of all, enjoy the time with the horses. That is always a good thing and its only for 30 days.

FutureVetGirl 09-01-2008 02:12 PM

Sort of... When I first heard about this... I thought it was a leasing agreement, and while the horse lives there, I thought I'd be allowed to come and ride there whenever, alone and with people. But if I want to go on a trail ride, he has to be there the whole time. Pretty much it's like renting a boat or something. You have a certain amount of time that you can use the horse each day... and it's for a certain amount of days. You can't really do anything with the horse besides ride. Which is not what I was expecting.

And Cat... I WOULD try and ask him things... but he's VERY quiet... and I'm quiet too... not a very good combination... :P He tells me things I need to work on... but I would like to be able to prove myself so that I could work for him. I'm perfectly fine working... like just to muck out stalls so that he'd have more time to relax (he works five horses in five hours before 9, and even more afterwards... he's always stressed because he has so much to do).

Any suggestions for riding goals? I haven't cantered in 4 or 5 years... so I'd like to do that... :P

Stepher 09-01-2008 06:02 PM

Im still a little confused.. is there a way you could go month to month?

And to answer your question..
"When Life Throws Me Lemons... Why Not Make Lemonade?"
I say find some vodka and have a party :wink:

iridehorses 09-01-2008 06:42 PM

It sounds a little like "time sharing". You buy a certain amount of days on one of his horses but in this deal, he has to be with you. Is that right?

FutureVetGirl 09-02-2008 03:04 AM

Kind of like what you're saying iridehorses...

It's kind of confusing if you're not there... knowing what he's talking about.

OK... you know that in like... the eighties and nineties, oftentimes you could find a set of horses by the road, next to some trails, and you pay a bit of money to trail ride with them for say... an hour or two. That's pretty much what it is. He rides with me if I choose to trail ride. I get a "discount" type thing if I choose to go on trial rides for thirty days. Now... it's thirty days. Not one month. So I could do thirty days throughout the year, instead of all together.

So that means... I can't do ANY groundwork with the horse... and the most I can do is work on my own riding. *sigh*

I was expecting more of a leasing agreement, where he takes care of most of the horse's needs, but I get to come out and do whatever with the horse. I tack the horse up, I groom the horse, and I ride the horse. But all I get to do in this arrangement is simply ride the horse. Nothing else.

*sigh*

What I'm asking now is what are some goals that I can try and acheive in riding? Since I won't be able to do much else...

I'm going riding on a trail up in the mountains today... I'll try and get some pictures of us.

Dumas'_Grrrl 09-02-2008 11:06 AM

Well.....I still don't fully understand but as long as your butt is in the saddle it sounds like an opportunity to work on you instead of the horse. There are perks of not owning or being responcible with a lease. :wink:

IMO making lemonaid is all about using the opportunity to its fullest...whether or not its what you had wanted in the first place. Never miss a chance to refine yourself!!!

FutureVetGirl 09-02-2008 11:26 AM

It's hard to explain.

I'm going to try and do a ton of trails... I went on one today. I'll upload pictures later... *yawn* I'm kind of tired.

What are some things that I should work on? Like... things that everyone needs to work on? I already know that I need to improve my: sitting trot (I can do it for a bit... but then I just can't... and end up bouncing REALLY hard), two point, posting trot (my trot's gotten REALLY bad recently... :P ), canter, working walk (instead of the slow thing).