The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Look Who is Already Cruising A Nice Pattern (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/look-who-already-cruising-nice-pattern-142097/)

1RedHorse 10-31-2012 02:05 PM

Look Who is Already Cruising A Nice Pattern

:D

Not bad at all for his first time to ever LOPE a pattern being the 12th of this month.
Im super proud of him. This is my 1st colt that will be my personal horse Ive broke to ride and done all of his training. And yes, the foundation I put on him was

leads
counter arcs
side pass
vertical and lateral flexion.

Hes broke just the way I described in the "Whipping While Rating" thread.

Hes not perfect yet..and he'll go this speed for awhile then he'll start being pushed and hauled to exhibitions to see where his times are compared to Open horses. He wont have alot of exhibitions to warm up to....we're trying to get his mindset for *possible* futurities and rodeos where he wont have or might not have an exhibition. So when he starts getting hauled he'll go in there this speed. If he messes up...its ok...work on it at home then go again :).

Just wanted to share my guy with ya'll!

1RedHorse 10-31-2012 02:19 PM

This was his 4th time on the pattern (9/12/12)...to give ya'll and idea how he was started. I start everything using the square method. Its easy....and horses learn quicker in straight lines. Later on if it doesnt mesh with their style I tweak it. I talked with Chasin's owner (my colts sire) and she said that Chasin himself and the colts of his shes worked with are stiffer rollback horses....so I went with that and thats how he is.

I dont recomend pushing all young horses this quickly but hes a natural and a fast learner that wants to work...so we're letting him tell us what hes comfortable with. This is also another example of "sometimes you dont have to baby them for 6 months to a year". He was cleared by a vet to begin his training as well.

Here is an idea of how he was riding back in April. Loping on a loose rein....small to large circles with just leg cues.

beau159 10-31-2012 05:02 PM

Call me super, super jealous that Onyx is taking to the barrels so natural! Red still can't even just lope around on a loose rein like you did in the last video! He got too much GO. I'm praying my yearling Shotgun will be an easy boy. He's been pretty easy temperment-wise so far.

But I am very happy for you on how well Onyx is doing! I will be expecting lots of stories (and great results) when you start hauling him!

He's looking good. Dang good for his first lope-through.

27cfmd 10-31-2012 05:32 PM

Your horse runs and turns so much like a horse Fallon Taylor had in for training. The one in this video,

But anyways, I really like your horse! He looks the he had a very good foundation on him before you even started barrels.

1RedHorse 10-31-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 1739100)
Call me super, super jealous that Onyx is taking to the barrels so natural! Red still can't even just lope around on a loose rein like you did in the last video! He got too much GO. I'm praying my yearling Shotgun will be an easy boy. He's been pretty easy temperment-wise so far.

But I am very happy for you on how well Onyx is doing! I will be expecting lots of stories (and great results) when you start hauling him!

He's looking good. Dang good for his first lope-through.

His 1st lope through was 2 weeks ago. The 1st video we added some speed and he handled it very well! I worked him a week straight getting him somewhat solid. He's now at my friends place in TX being hauled and tuned on some. I wanted another opinion on if he was futurity potential :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 27cfmd (Post 1739132)
Your horse runs and turns so much like a horse Fallon Taylor had in for training. The one in this video,

FALLON TAYLOR BARREL HORSE TRAINING: DIESEL WEEK 2 - YouTube

But anyways, I really like your horse! He looks the he had a very good foundation on him before you even started barrels.

Thanks!
Yea we recorded his breeze at Fallon's actually. She loves Onyx :)

SorrelHorse 10-31-2012 06:24 PM

Squee! Onyx is such a good boy! He's my favoritest. :)

I'm jealous of how well he is doing! Ruger can lope a nice pattern but not as nice as your adorable guy. Keep up the updates, I love him to death. :)

1RedHorse 10-31-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1739193)
Squee! Onyx is such a good boy! He's my favoritest. :)

I'm jealous of how well he is doing! Ruger can lope a nice pattern but not as nice as your adorable guy. Keep up the updates, I love him to death. :)

I'm going back to TX to ride and hangout with friends. Hopefully Fallon will be in town!

1RedHorse 11-01-2012 12:28 AM

Update: Onyx cruised another solid pattern tonight. No video though :(

Me, my friends and Fallon (if she waits till saturday to go to her rodeo) are all riding Friday so hopefully I can get some pics/videos of a onyx to update y'all with :)

JustaSkippenJess 11-01-2012 12:38 AM

Good for you!! Sounds like you two are starting to make a great team. Onyx and you are looking great so far! Keep us updated!

QHriderKE 11-01-2012 01:13 AM

I want to ride with Fallon :(