The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   "Learn to jump in 6 weeks" ? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/learn-jump-6-weeks-142098/)

Strange 10-31-2012 01:10 PM

"Learn to jump in 6 weeks" ?

There's a rather large lesson barn in my area that I am email subscribed to and I recently read an ad that was in my inbox that said "Learn to Jump in 6 weeks for only $197....Each class is 90-minutes long, and includes study materials and time in the saddle. Riders must be able to control the horse at the walk, post the trot, and have some experience at the canter."

How do you feel about lesson barns advertising learning to jump in such a short time? Granted, I feel the ad isn't clear as to whether you must come in knowing to walk and post the trot with some experience at the canter or if that is what will be required of them before they're allowed to jump. Regardless, learning to jump in 6 weeks? Sure you can learn to stay on a horse as it jumps a tiny crossrail in that time, but learn to be correct at the same time? I doubt it.

Have you ever seen ads like these before, and do you think they're realistic? Misleading? Downright unsafe?

JustDressageIt 10-31-2012 01:51 PM

Over small cross rails, or tiny verticals? Sure. They can learn "how" in 6 weeks... Whether or not they will be any good within 6 weeks is another thing altogether...
Posted via Mobile Device

LizNicole520 10-31-2012 01:57 PM

I don't think you're ever done learning, are we? Silly Ads pop up so often.. but When I read the initial ad you quoted I read it as.. those are requirements in order to do their little six week course. With those requirements I feel confident a rider could "learn to jump in two lessons" if they were brave enough to take the jump and understood they were not going to be a pro! 6 weeks is enough time to make a great leap in skill but they sure did find a way to make their little ad eye catching [even if we're looking in disbelief!]

ThoroughbredJumper 10-31-2012 03:05 PM

I believe it is physically impossible to learn/master the proper jumping, or even riding position in a small 6 weeks. Some may argue you can, but muscle memory will get in your way and lead you far astray from what you learned if you even mess up once. Learning to trot over cavaletti's, MAYBE a small cross rail, but to "jump" in 6 weeks, and for the limited experience they are asking, is simply bull...

Topaz 11-03-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1738959)
Over small cross rails, or tiny verticals? Sure. They can learn "how" in 6 weeks... Whether or not they will be any good within 6 weeks is another thing altogether...
Posted via Mobile Device

This. Exactly. Assuming they have the experience requested.

JustDressageIt 11-04-2012 12:31 PM

You can learn "how" to jump in one or two lessons. That doesn't mean that you should go around jumping anything more than a tiny crossrail.... or that you're any good getting over said tiny crossrail...