The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Interesting Facts on America - I need your help please! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/interesting-facts-america-i-need-your-142107/)

Equus_girl 10-31-2012 03:23 PM

Interesting Facts on America - I need your help please!

My aunt is getting married in a month to a man from Tennessee. So she will be moving to the United States. We are putting on a wedding shower for her in a couple weeks and one of the things we are doing is making a list of some facts about the United States to read to her and also to put in a scrap book we are making. Kind of a little list of things to educate her on the new country she is moving to. I kind of want a mixture of history facts, current facts and just some fun or even silly things, crazy laws ect. Some comparisons between how Canadians and Americans say things are good too, like Canadians say "zed" while Americans say "zee."

I've thought of some things, but I would love all of your input. Thank-you so much!

Taffy Clayton 10-31-2012 03:46 PM

Americasn's say "zee" , what does that mean?

I need to think a bit on fun facts.
What state will they be living in?

Equus_girl 10-31-2012 03:49 PM

Oh, I just mean like at the end of the alphabet we say "zed" instead of "zee" for the letter z.

And they will be living in Tennessee.

tinyliny 10-31-2012 03:57 PM

Why don't you look at those books or videos , "you know you're a redneck when . . . "

Facts about the Cherokee indians and the Lousiana purchase might be interesting.

this book is really cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Jim-Key-History-Changed/dp/0060567031
I think it took place to a large extent in Tennessee.

SouthernTrails 10-31-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus_girl (Post 1739047)
Some comparisons between how Canadians and Americans say things are good too, like Canadians say "zed" while Americans say "zee."

It all depends where in the US, there are possibly a half dozen or more ways people talk in the US.

My cousins from Wisconsin say Youzz Guys..... lol..

The variations around the Country can be quite comical :lol:

Faceman 10-31-2012 08:50 PM

Well, in Tennessee, you don't say "eh" unless you are hard of hearing.

And Summer is at least 5 months long...:shock:

MyBoyPuck 10-31-2012 10:50 PM

Heck, you could make a speech just on what each area calls a long sandwich:
Grinder, Hogie, Hero, Sub, Wedge, etc.

Or those things we top ice cream with: shots, ants, jimmies, sprinkles, etc.

This might be one single county, but you'd never know that driving state to state.

tinyliny 10-31-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 1739170)
It all depends where in the US, there are possibly a half dozen or more ways people talk in the US.

My cousins from Wisconsin say Youzz Guys..... lol..

The variations around the Country can be quite comical :lol:

Reminds me of the great scene in "My Cousin Vinny" where he uses the word "yoots", as in "the two yoots", and the judge does not understand what he's saying. One of my alltime favorite movies.

mtngrl7500 11-01-2012 01:39 AM

Do you know what part of Tennessee? The state is so big and the western end is pretty different from the eastern. You could point out typical southern things...sweet tea, saying ya'll. I think giving a "You Might Be a Redneck" book is a good, fun idea.

mtngrl7500 11-01-2012 01:55 AM

You know you’re in the South when… Grumpy rumblings of the half-tenured

Here is a site with a few Southern funnies. The BBQ statement rings so true because, as a Memphis girl, we have some of the best around...and I can't be told otherwise :)

Also, in the South, it is not pop or soda or whatever else....it's coke. Coke can be anything. Many times if you tell someone that you would like a coke, they'll say a "coke Coke?". In a sentence..."What kind of coke would you like?" "I would like a Dr Pepper".

She should also be prepared for anytime she opens her mouth to get "you aren't from around here, are you?"