The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Romeo was attacked. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/romeo-attacked-142139/)

ThoroughbredJumper 10-31-2012 09:53 PM

Romeo was attacked.

My sweet as can be TB gelding Romeo was attacked in the pasture 2 days ago by my twins larger (gelded late) Dutch Warmblood. He now has 2 giant gashes across his back (not very deep), an area on his shoulder cut deep into, and a cut down his cannon. We called the vet out as soon as i drove to the barn and he has staples and stitches now, but i have to put cream on the areas for 10 days (till they are fully healed) and he is extremely sensitive. He doesnt act aggressive toward the pain but he is so flinchy it makes it difficult to put the cream on. Any ideas on how to sneek it on so it doesnt hurt him as much?

foreveramber 10-31-2012 10:22 PM

Distract him with food? I hope he gets well soon! Also hope that they can be pastured separately in the future! :)

ThoroughbredJumper 10-31-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreveramber (Post 1739616)
Distract him with food? I hope he gets well soon! Also hope that they can be pastured separately in the future! :)

Thank you, he is strong and healthy so it shouldnt take long till hes better. And they will be separated from now on, Romeo gets to go out with the paints, much sweeter than Bugsy(the horse who attacked him). And i tried food, but he still focuses on the pain. :'(

aldebono 11-01-2012 08:53 AM

Could you use a spray on medicine such as Dermaplast? It's pretty good stuff. I find it at walgreens and CVS and sometimes Publix. It has a red cap.

wyominggrandma 11-01-2012 09:02 AM

try rubbing a spot close to the injuries with your other hand for a few minutes to distract him, then quick rub in the creme. Make sure the creme is at least hand warm, cold creme will be "startling" to his warm skin.

jaydee 11-01-2012 09:09 AM

If you can get something spray on it might help otherwise dont focus on putting the cream on but instead do other things with him When I get a horse like this (and for some reason TB's seem to be bigger babies than any others) I start out with grooming all over paying extra attention to the legs but not spending too much time on each one - just repetition and then moving off onto another part of the body - I find it helps if someone else is also messing with them, combing the mane, brushing the tail, face etc so the horse stops thinking about the leg and relaxes then when brushing around the injured area I sneakily slap some cream on
Never let him think you are just going in to treat his wounds as some horses can get really paranoid and defensive.

ThoroughbredJumper 11-01-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks guys these are all useful :) i will try them later today when i have to again

Inga 11-01-2012 09:15 AM

Well wishes for your boys healing. It is always hard to see our babies in pain.

aldebono 11-01-2012 09:16 AM

My appendix liked the Dermoplast when he slit his side open. It has a pain reliever in it and he was visibly more comfortable after each application. I believe it does have a sound when it sprays so let him check it out before surprising him.

ThoroughbredJumper 11-01-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 1739943)
Well wishes for your boys healing. It is always hard to see our babies in pain.

Thank you, and i know :( even with how tough he is and all, it hurts me to see him flinch from the touch he normally adores :(