The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How do broken bones and fractutres compare? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-do-broken-bones-fractutres-compare-142163/)

BornToRun 11-01-2012 08:22 AM

How do broken bones and fractures compare?

How would a broken bone and a fracture compare physically and pain wise?

Faceman 11-01-2012 08:49 AM

They are the same thing. A "broken bone" is a slang term for a fracture. There are, of course, different types of fractures that cause varying degrees of pain, largely dependent upon where they are...

themacpack 11-01-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1739918)
They are the same thing. A "broken bone" is a slang term for a fracture. There are, of course, different types of fractures that cause varying degrees of pain, largely dependent upon where they are...

Yep....

Delfina 11-01-2012 10:40 AM

You can't really compare fractures and say "well that one would hurt more than this one" since it's all relevant to the individual and the actual break itself.

My younger kiddo dislocated her elbow and had a hairline fracture. If we hadn't done x-rays, we never would have known. Once her elbow was re-set, she was as happy as happy gets and in zero pain. I then had the joy of trying to keep a 2yr old from injuring it further during the next 6 weeks while it healed. The same exact fracture in an elderly person most likely would have been excruciatingly painful!

mtngrl7500 11-01-2012 02:04 PM

What the others said. I personally have broken a finger and would have never known it was broke. I just knew it felt weird when I bent it so I went to the doctor. It hurt, but it was really cold out that day and my hands were freezing. When it got knocked on something I just thought it hurt because my hands were already cold and I came inside after it happened. Really, it throbbed more than anything. The break was bad enough that surgery was suggested, but I had it set instead. My finger looks straight, but when I bend it, it's crooked.

Corporal 11-01-2012 02:20 PM

I had a simple broken humerous in 2004. It didn't hurt at the time. Here I was--after being thrown--and my arm just didn't work. Yes, there was pain during the healing but they didn't even cast it, just got a sling.
Compound fractures sometimes have to be pinned in place, ESPECIALLY at the wrist where a bunch of nerves pass through the bone structure and can be very painful.
Hairline fractures can hurt a lot, but are often missed bc the pain resembles a bad bruise.

Foxhunter 11-02-2012 03:02 PM

I agree that it is impossible to say how one would hurt more than the other.

I was waiting in ER with a child who had broken three bones in her foot when a man came in and sat grunting and groaning like a baby. He said he was in so much pain and should be seem immediately. I told him to stop making such a fuss and he replied that I didn't know what it was like.
In no uncertain terms I told him I had broken my left collarbone three time and the right four and id I combined them altogether I never made as much fuss as he was!
Odd thing was, he then shut up.

A straight fracture is less painful than a displaced one and that is far less painful than a corkscrew fracture.

A terrific amount depends on the person's pain holding.

Shropshirerosie 11-02-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1740322)
I had a simple broken humerous in 2004. It didn't hurt at the time. Here I was--after being thrown--and my arm just didn't work. .

Oh boo, that's not fair - I didn't know that was a possibility! I have a non-simple broken humerus that hurt like bug**ry at the time, needed surgery to hold it all together with a big steel plate and nine screws, I floated on painkillers for a few weeks, and now I'm anticipating 9 months of physio to get full mobility back.

I too got thrown, then my arm didn't work. Then I fainted - the surgeon tells me that was caused by the amount of blood I lost through internal bleeding....

Anyway OP, why are you asking?

BornToRun 11-02-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 1742226)
Anyway OP, why are you asking?

:oops: Curious ... I tripped walking to my bus stop the morning I posted this. My elbow was bent around my laptop and when I tripped that's what I landed on. It was quite painful and I couldn't bent it, so I was trying to decipher the probable injury. I did go to the hospital after toughing out a few hours and had x rays done. Nothing broken, just some bruised bones.

Sharpie 11-03-2012 12:09 AM

I've had a couple of avulsion fractures in my fingers, both hurt badly enough that they interfered with normal use of my hands, but generally only if I was trying to do something. Never enough I needed anything more than some advil though. I've had muscle strains that have hurt a lot worse than the puny breaks I've gotten away with so far (touch wood).