The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   How to make a trailer welcoming :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/how-make-trailer-welcoming-142221/)

flyinghighleo 11-01-2012 07:32 PM

How to make a trailer welcoming :)

I have a 2 horse pull mcbride.. Leo in the last season started to not like being on the trailer.. its a dull gray in side.. thinking of painting it all white. Its a newer one. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Spotted 11-01-2012 07:43 PM

putting hay inside with some favorite goodies, might help :)

peppersgirl 11-01-2012 07:53 PM

Make sure your not driving like a lunatic:)

If your horse was ok with the trailer but then all of the sudden NOT ok with the trailer- this lead me to believe this is a driving issue (plus gong from light grey to white isnt that big of a deal).

take your time when changing lanes. Don't curb check. Don't accelerate after a turn UNTIL your trailer is in line with your vehicle....Horses tend not to appreciate driving with someone who thinks hes the next dale earnhart...

rmax 11-01-2012 08:00 PM

I had a problem with my bp mcbride,horse was used to a 2+1 gooseneck.Painted the inside white, put in a drop window, and took out the divider. When I load I open everything up and it seems to make a big difference.

deserthorsewoman 11-01-2012 08:14 PM

Well, let me tell you a little story....
Standardbred barn. Filly was there for starting and was supposed to go back home. The grooms tried 3! weekends to load her....with halter, in driving tack, drugged up to her ears.....nothing. Not one step forward in the trailer. After watching the drama I went to ask if I could help(letting the men try first, of course, what does a woman know after all;-)).
The trailer had no rubbermats, just bare aluminum floor. So I suggested to put some straw down. And on she went.
So, could be that your horse slipped. Not saying that you have no mats, lol, but a little straw or shavings might help. And an opening on the other end. And lights.

flyinghighleo 11-01-2012 09:03 PM

he gets ALOT of food :) i just started to notice it, so i thought i would act fast, he gets along of hay, matting with shaving and for the driving part, my grandpa drives us around.. he may listen to pearl jam.. but does not drive like it LOL slow and steady :) just wanted home ideas :) :wink:

Mustard Seed Stables 11-01-2012 09:16 PM

Do not push him on the trailer! let him do it when he wants. take 10 mins out of every day to work with him. walk him up to it as close as he will get to it, give him a treat.take a wide circle and come right straight back to the trailer. keep doing when ever he gets closer give him a treat. the closer he gets the more loving and treats he should get! when he finnally gets on have grain ready for him on the trailer! close the door behind him let him eat his grain then when he is done back him off. then do it again if you want but if you think he will not go back on again do not put back on you want to end on a good note so he remembers that it is safe to be on the trailer! That is how i trained all my horses to do it, now they all go on and off like a charm!:D

flyinghighleo 11-01-2012 09:18 PM

we have been :) i have been told he thinks he is to big for the trailer.. he is a short and CHUNKY pony..

usandpets 11-03-2012 06:55 AM

If the horse went in fine before and there were no bad instances when trailering, I don't think it has anything to do with the trailer itself. I doubt that the horse thinks he's too big for it and that he doesn't like the trailer itself.

It is possible that he knows that when he gets trailered, he has to work when he gets to the destination. Does he have a hard time going in to come back home?

I wouldn't use food or treats to bribe him to go in. That can easily cause worse issues later on. He can figure out that if he refuses other things, you'll give him a treat to do what you want. He'll end up being the one calling the shots.

Honestly, I think you need to step and take charge of the situation. He needs to do what you ask without questioning it. It shouldn't matter what type of trailer you use.

Don't think of it as getting him to want to be in there. Of course they aren't going to want to go in and they aren't going to want to work either. If we let them have the choice, they would choose to be in a pasture eating all day.

When I work with a horse on trailering, I want them to choose to be in the trailer. Not that they want to be in there but that they'd rather be in there. Once I get that idea across, I don't have much problem no matter what trailer I put them in. Work them outside the trailer and let them rest inside. Don't use treats, hay or feed as their reward. Getting to rest and maybe a rub is reward enough for them.

Practice over several days until its no longer an issue. Take charge and be the one in control and a leader for the horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

whispering willow 11-03-2012 07:05 AM

If the horse is frightened by the looks of it you could always try opening all of the windows, other doors to lighten up in the trailer. then you can bring it to his favourite place he likes to go, such as his pasture or a riding area if he likes to work. And place the trailer in the doors so that in order for him to get to his happy place is to go through this scary object. But this is only an idea if your trailer has to doors that come out the other. :) good luck! :)