The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   English riding hair help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/english-riding-hair-help-142243/)

howrsegirl123 11-01-2012 09:31 PM

English riding hair help
 
I don't know how to fix my hair for shows. Once I put it in a ponytail and put it up under my helmet-is this acceptable? Once I had someone put it in a bun for me and had it stick out at the back of my neck. And other times (at small shows) I've just left it in a ponytail because I can't make a good bun and with this new helmet I got it's hard to put it under the helmet. I have a show coming up on Nov. 15 and it's very formal; what should I do with my hair? Why does my hair not go in a bun? It's shoulder length but thick and I've got layers so they stick out everywhere when I try to make the bun. Please help! What do you guys do?

NBEventer 11-01-2012 10:09 PM

I always put my hair under my helmet. I do a pony tail flip it up and put a hair net on and put my helmet on. This video shows how I do mine except I don't do the hair over my ears as it drives me nutty.
You could follow the same way except twist it into a tight bun after you do the pony tail. Use another net over the bun if you have to and use another elastic to tighten it all up nice and neat.


There are a ton of youtube videos showing different ways. So play around and find one that works for you :-)

DancingArabian 11-01-2012 10:33 PM

^^
That video is more for a hunt seat style. I'm pretty sure Dressage still goes with the bun and snood or bow.

NBEventer 11-01-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1740949)
^^
That video is more for a hunt seat style. I'm pretty sure Dressage still goes with the bun and snood or bow.

Ah I didn't realize it was dressage. But yea it is more of a hunt seat style. Which is why I commented that I don't do the hair over the ears thing. I have not and will not do the hair over the ears.

Even when I do dressage I put my hair under my helmet. I just have not been able to find a way to style it in a way that is comfortable for me other then under my helmet.

Shropshirerosie 11-01-2012 11:50 PM

This fascinates me (when I'm not busy with other things...)

I have never seen this hair-under-the-hat thing until I came on this forum;it seems to be a uniquely North American thing. I've only ever seen hair neat and tidy in a bun below the rim of the hat. I can't imagine that a properly fitting hat would have room for the hair inside it??

Please feel free to correct me!

DancingArabian 11-02-2012 12:03 AM

Lots of people ha e differently sized helmets for showing so they can stuff their hair in there. It really isn't safe though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shropshirerosie 11-02-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1741073)
Lots of people ha e differently sized helmets for showing so they can stuff their hair in there. It really isn't safe though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah!

That explains it.


:shock:

Gosh - really?!

Wow........

upnover 11-02-2012 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Shropshirerosie;1741048]This fascinates me (when I'm not busy with other things...)

I have never seen this hair-under-the-hat thing until I came on this forum;it seems to be a uniquely North American thing. I've only ever seen hair neat and tidy in a bun below the rim of the hat. I can't imagine that a properly fitting hat would have room for the hair inside it??

Please feel free to correct me![/QUOTE

what country are you from and what discipline do you ride? I believe in the international show jumping world it's customary for women to wear their hair under a helmet. There are a few (like Jill henselwood from Canada...) who always have a ponytail flapping but I beleive the bun thing is more of a dressage do.

To answer the other question... My show helmet is one size larger then my schooling helmet to accommodate my hair and it fits snugly and safely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bluebird 11-02-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howrsegirl123 (Post 1740860)
I don't know how to fix my hair for shows. Once I put it in a ponytail and put it up under my helmet-is this acceptable? Once I had someone put it in a bun for me and had it stick out at the back of my neck. And other times (at small shows) I've just left it in a ponytail because I can't make a good bun and with this new helmet I got it's hard to put it under the helmet. I have a show coming up on Nov. 15 and it's very formal; what should I do with my hair? Why does my hair not go in a bun? It's shoulder length but thick and I've got layers so they stick out everywhere when I try to make the bun. Please help! What do you guys do?

In England, a hair net or bun net is as essential as a riding hat. Put a hair net over your bun and everything becomes smooth and tame. No need to stick your hair under your helmet. You go girl!

Bluebird 11-02-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1741073)
Lots of people ha e differently sized helmets for showing so they can stuff their hair in there. It really isn't safe though.
Posted via Mobile Device

You shouldn't stick your hair under your helmet. This is a big no no in the UK. It is perfectly acceptable to wear a bun or tuck your hair into a hairnet 'Juliet' style. In English riding, the trick is to look 'elegant'.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0