The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinking He Ain't Just Mini(Pic Overload)

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Endiku 
#1 ·
I got to thinking and looking and I think my Mini boy may be a Mini/Falabella mix. No one knows where he came from or what exactly he is but he just doesn't have that complete "Mini" look, not that it really madders or that I'll ever know for sure. I see it mostly in his head. What do you think? Mini x Falabella? He's 35" tall

See less See more
#3 ·
if I'm not mistaken, Falabellas aren't a breed of their own and are still miniature horses. There is a very small population of them and those that do exist are registered, expensive, and VERY seldom if ever crossbred. Without being a pure falabella, he would still be considered 'just' a miniature, because as I said, falabellas are in fact miniatures that are merely from a certain lineage. They're built just like miniatures so really you couldnt just look at a horse and go 'oh, its mixed with a falabella', you'd have to go back to its pedigree :) falabellas are usually TOP quality as well and are kept that way to preserve worth, thus making a horse with more than one or two tiny conformational faults most likely not a falabella.

check this site out.
Falabella Miniature Horse Association - Official Site - FMHA

That being said, no. I don't think your horse is a falabella mix :) however he's very cute! What makes you think he's not pure mini? He looks like a typical grade miniature horse to me, and a very loved one at that. Sometimes they're the best kind because after all, they can't get all snooty about their bloodlines ;)

#4 ·
I could see a little shetland in him- Shetlands can run very small! We have two at our barn and little Legolas looks a lot like your except he is black!

#5 ·
I agree that Fabella is just a strain of miniature horses. They were some of the first miniature horses to come into the country (if I understand correctly). Miniature horses are graded on size. So, its possible that you boy may just be a small miniature horse. Either way he looks cute.

#6 ·
I agree that Fabella is just a strain of miniature horses. They were some of the first miniature horses to come into the country (if I understand correctly). Miniature horses are graded on size. So, its possible that you boy may just be a small miniature horse. Either way he looks cute.
At 35" (per the OP), I wouldn't consider him to be a *small* mini - that would actually put him in the B mini classification

#9 ·
Yes, but they are derivatives of miniature horses, if I remember correctly, thus making them technically miniature horses.

And yes, 35" would be a class B miniature, which is fairly large.

#10 ·
And miniature horses originate from Shetland does that make them Shetland ponies. Most modern breeds are across between different breeds like the thoroughbred most like originated from crossing Arabs and Shetlands and then selectively breeding them doesn't make them a Shetland or and Arab. A felabella is its own breed now as just because it originates from a miniature doesn't make it one.

#11 ·
No reason to be snarky- I'm still learning, too.

Falabellas dont really have any distinguishng characteristics, and cross breeding a mini and a falabella will just equal a miniature horse because, even as you said, falabellas did indeed originate from minis. They are simply a more 'pure' line of miniatures than you generally see, with specific lineages much like the crabbet arabian. They're still arabians but called something else because of the purity in their lines. Mixing pure and not pure irradicates the pure and leaves just another mix. Thus, this horse- whether he is partially falabella or not, is just a miniature horse. (and a cute one at that!) There is nothing except for a piece of paper than would show that he was anything but miniature because they have the same general 'look.'

Reactions: SunnyMeadeFarm
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.