The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weight gain help again please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weight-gain-help-again-please-142281/)

poppy1356 11-02-2012 10:57 AM

Weight gain help again please

So I know I'm super paranoid. I feel like Lizzy might be dropping weight again. I jumped on her in the pasture yesterday and it felt like there was a little bit more spine sticking out. gahhhh :cry:

With below she gets in total at least 20-30lbs of grass hay per day. She is with very submissive horses so no one chases anyone off food. Hoping to get a round bale in this week.

Morning:

1/2lb rice bran
1.5lb beet bulp
1oz Red Cell
MSM

Night:

1/2lb rice bran
1.5lb beet bulp
1oz Red Cell
Mare Magic
Cough Free

Picking up alfalfa pellets tonight and on the hunt for some good pure alfalfa bales to supplement her grass hay.

No grain, flax or soy products please.

What else can I give her for weight gain? Wheat Germ Oil? I feel like part of it might be she isn't getting enough protein??

Oh yes she is blanketed at night and all day if it is below 40 during the day. She works a few days a week, give or take as I work full time and go to school full time.

poppy1356 11-02-2012 11:37 AM

Sending the bf to the feed store today. Any suggestions?

Saranda 11-02-2012 11:41 AM

I don't know this about the US - can you get your hands on sunflower meal? It's high in proteins and fats, is healthy, horses love it and we use it around here for horses who need to gain weight. It has to be soaked before feeding and different supplements can be mixed in the meal easily. Here's a bit more information about it -

http://www.riverina.com.au/website/f...wer%20Meal.pdf - and I really suggest it, as I've seen it doing wonders on underweight or hard-keeping horses!

poppy1356 11-02-2012 11:48 AM

Hmmm I bet I could find it. We have sunflower seeds all over for food so I could try to find it in meal form.

toosexy4myspotz 11-02-2012 12:06 PM

i started using soaked alfalfa/oat cubes a few weeks ago and i swear i can see a difference in my hard keepers already.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 11-02-2012 12:07 PM

both of my hard keepers have bad teeth. one of them is 23yo and some of his worn down to the gum line and the other is a 14yo app who has really bad ramps.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 11-02-2012 12:28 PM

Her teeth are fine. Vet looked at them again this summer. She will get them floated come March. I'm already getting alfalfa pellets but oats are grain and no grain.

deserthorsewoman 11-02-2012 12:37 PM

It's alfalfa/ oatHAY, poppy. It's harvested before the oats are ripe and is a pretty high octane hay. Slightly more energy than grass hay, sweet, and horses love it. If you could get it as hay, not pelleted, would be even better. It's pretty coarse, keeps them digesting and therefore warm.

But try to find alfalfa hay and give alfalfa pellets. Never tried the sunflower meal, so cannot comment on that. And up the ricebran and beetpulp.
If she is in free choice hay and her teeth are okay, the hay is most likely not very nutritious.

poppy1356 11-02-2012 12:45 PM

The hay has been this years last cut. It was cut just about a month ago? Still green. Haha when she said alfalfa/oat cubes my thought was they put oat in the cubes lol. But I have never heard of that around here.

The rice bran is super expensive. $32 for a 40lb bag. Kinda scares me to up that :( But I can up the beet pulp. Alfalfa pellets are only $15 for a 50lb bag.

Any oils other than flax that would work? I know they have wheat germ at the local feed store. The flax oil did wonders but the whole laminitis thing.....

deserthorsewoman 11-02-2012 01:08 PM

Try the ricebran meal instead of the pellets. Here at TSC the pellets are 40$, the meal 25$
I still can't believe the flax caused the laminitis, sorry;-)
If you add alfalfa and up the ricebran to 1 1/2lbs daily for a while, and she gains on that, you can gradually lessen the amount of ricebran then. So it's only temporary:-)
I would also keep her inside if it's wet and cold outside. She will use all energy just to stay warm, blanketed or not. Dry cold is no problem.