The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Halter training a 2 year old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/halter-training-2-year-old-142299/)

horsecrazygirl13 11-02-2012 04:04 PM

Halter training a 2 year old

Hi, my friend just got a 2 year old quarterhorse gelding who is proving to be difficult. he has not been handled much and is very nervous. I am going to help her train him and we have to start from the begining, halter training. so how do you halter train a nervous 2 year old?:-|

Corporal 11-02-2012 04:11 PM

Get on Clinton Anderson's site and study his halter training. It would be worth it to buy the tie ring, too. He trains his weanlings to tie quietly, and you can, too. There are also tips on teaching colts to move and follow directions, and the basics of ground training.

horsecrazygirl13 11-02-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1741705)
Get on Clinton Anderson's site and study his halter training. It would be worth it to buy the tie ring, too. He trains his weanlings to tie quietly, and you can, too. There are also tips on teaching colts to move and follow directions, and the basics of ground training.

Could you give me the link to the site? i cant find it.
thanks!

Corporal 11-02-2012 04:54 PM

Basically, you use approach and retreat, starting in a small area--stall--to introduce the halter. Then leave it on for short periods. Then, halter, unhalter, halter, unhalter, etc., until it's no big deal.
The first address is more of a commercial. If you get RFD.tv, start watching. The program to sell the videos should be repeating soon.
RE: tying with a halter and lead, if you have a fence post where you can run a long (15') lead rope or use a lungeline, you can duplicate the tie ring. You run it through, "scare" (throw your arms up) and get the 2yo to run backwards, then soothe, pull back to a couple of feet, and do it many times, and you will desensitize him to being panicked while tied. You let the rope run all of the way through if he pulls it that far, and the horse resists less and less. LOTS AND LOTS of PRAISE really helps. One week of this every day should train your colt to stand tied quietly. The sessions should be 15-30 minutes long. Very long training sessions don't accomplish much in a young horse.

Thunderspark 11-03-2012 01:43 AM

I follow Clinton Anderson and have most of his DVDs, I was a member for 4 or 5 yrs. but let it go over a year ago.
I started my 3yr. with his methods, he was born here, so he has been halter/led/lunged since he was young. Not a whole lot that first couple of years, just short sessions. I am now starting him under saddle in the round pen and probably come spring he will be going out on the trails with us.
Check out on Youtube, do a search for Clinton Anderson, there are lots of his training stuff on there.

mbaron5731 11-13-2012 12:16 AM

YES! Clinton Anderson will help you with all your training quirks!

Also, last year I halter broke this very SHY 2yo tb colt.
He wouldn't even let anyone get NEAR him let alone touch him, put anything near him NOR put a halter on.
I started by making a casual apperance each day, several times a day, or just as often as time let me.
Once he got used to who I was, and that I was going to talk and show him new attention, I began introducing myself more to him.
Young horses are curious! They have a whole new mind and they Are born with natural instincts. They are learning who people are too!
Introduce different objects, but don't rush to him. Show it to him, if he shys away take it away. Then he'll wonder - where did it go? Ignore it. Pretend it didn't happen. Introduce it again. This time let him make a small deal about it. Snorting, running away, biting and running... or if he stands, keep the halter close to him, but don't touch him if he's too shy. Move the halter around different area's of his body. Then without the halter, rub your hands over the hoses body. Let them feel the steady comfort. Introduce the halter more and take STEP by STEP. If one day you only accomplish standing on the left side of the horse, with the halter in your left hand and your right arm around his right side of his face/ muzzle.... let that be your achievement! Everything is brand new and every new experience begins at every new moment! ;]

Kayty 11-13-2012 01:12 AM

Is this the same 2 year old that you're having trouble lunging? If so, no wonder he's struggling with lunging.
It sounds to me like the two of you REALLY need a trainer on the ground. From what you've said of your friends ideas on training and babying a horse, and you're lack of knowledge in training - this young horse is not going to be terribly well started. If you don't start them well from the beginning, it is 10 times harder to undo these errors as they get older and more settled into them.