The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Riding out vs trailering (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/riding-out-vs-trailering-142319/)

karliejaye 11-02-2012 07:38 PM

Riding out vs trailering

Does anyone else's horse act completely different on the trail depending on whether they trailered somewhere versus riding off their own property?

My gelding is phenomenal either way, but he is a little bit testy when we ride off the property. Not sure if this is just a touch of barn sour attitude, or if it is fairly common. It is nothing unmanagable, a little jig here, mini-spook there and a bit of calling back to home.

I tried a new plan today, I rode out one direction onto BLM and made him walk quietly back after going about 30 minutes. When we got home I trotted him around the property, then did a jog up the road the other direction (the road has a nice big shoulder and soft sand). Then I walked him back, did one more trot lap around the field then put him up. I am hoping he learns not to rush home, just like he knows not to rush back to the trailer. :D

How do you handle slightly rushy, barn sour horses?

Dead Rabbit 11-02-2012 07:58 PM

i call it "buddy-sour" they are wanting to get back with the others.

mine is alot harder to handle and acts up to a degree when riding away from the barn and the other horses.
but we came to an understanding quick. i dont tolerate that foolishness. still, shes much better when trailered to the trails.

Painted Horse 11-02-2012 09:43 PM

Farm land around me is disappearing, So I almost always trailer off property. Lots of public just a few miles away from the house.

I have found my horses always behave better when they can not hear their buddies call, When they don't know where the barn is. So I have often trailered my trouble making horses off for a few rides, Once I feel they are controlable, then I'll work more on the barn sour problems by riding close to home.

I'm just choosing which battles I prefer to fight. I think all horses should behave when ridden near home. But I would rather fight one battle at a time vs dealing with a green horse and barn sour horse.

karliejaye 11-02-2012 09:56 PM

Painted Horse- I suck at multi tasking, so I too like to take on one challenge at a time! Luckily this is the only challenge I have with Cruiser, and I have no choice but to deal with it now. I have no truck to haul with (have a trailer, just no truck for now) and no place to ride on the property other than a track made by the previous owners for dirt bikes.
Luckily it is literally a 10 minute ride to public land with trails. So my only option is to get him over his sourness.
My only other option is to pony his buddy along, which I may start doing occasionally since she desperately needs exercise (she's a friend's mare who is about 300lbs overweight!).

Joe4d 11-02-2012 10:13 PM

that works for awhile, but if you ride the same place as often as I do they end up memorizing that place too. And the trailer parking area becomes the new barn.

Dead Rabbit 11-02-2012 10:42 PM

Joe mine does same, when she sees the trailer, she automatically wants to stop when she gets there, i made her go another half mile past it and come back the last time, just to let her know i decide when its time to end the ride.

jamesqf 11-03-2012 01:43 AM

Mine's the same either way, but she always goes with her horse buddy, and she knows (or seems to know) where the trailer is, even if we ride in a loop. Around the midpoint it's "Oh, I'm a poor tired horse. Can't you see that I can't manage another step?", but on the last mile or so it changes to "Oh, boy, we're getting close to the hay net, let's hurry!"

Darrin 11-03-2012 02:30 AM

Mine act differently riding out from home then they do from the trailer. Of course, as already mentioned, after trailering to the same area a couple times they know where they are and where the trailer is. Once they know where the trailer is they start getting excited about returnig to the trailer as much as they do to returning to the barn.

Then there is the horses that always know where the trailer is even if it's the first time in the area.

gunslinger 11-03-2012 09:48 AM

I can ride 10 miles back in the wilderness and leave from a different trail head than my mare's been to before, on a loop, and some how, when we're headed back, she knows it. Going back she wants to pick up the speed just a bit and walk out.

We're headed for the Rice Camp trail in the Cohutta wilderness area shortly.....we haven't rode this trail yet......she'll still know where the trailer is at the end of the day.

I wish I knew how she gets her sense of direction...

goneriding 11-03-2012 10:37 AM

I don't want to stereotype but of all the mares and geldings I have ridden on trail, the mares seem to be a tad more keen with direction.