The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My colt has yet to become a man... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-colt-has-yet-become-man-142329/)

petitepyromaniac 11-02-2012 09:46 PM

My colt has yet to become a man...
 
I recently became the owner of a yearling (well, year and a half) old stud colt. I fully intend on gelding him, but he hasn't dropped yet.

Isn't that a little old to have not dropped? He shows NO stud-ish behavior at all, so him being a stud hasn't been a problem, but I don't want it to suddenly become a problem either.

I was hoping I could avoid an unnecessary vet bill to just have the vet take a peak and tell me to wait, so that's why I'm asking on here first... is this normal? Thanks!

Janna 11-02-2012 10:05 PM

They can geld him without them dropping . But as long as he hasn't dropped and is acting good you could give him a little longer. He acts bad = snippers .
Also keep him separated from mares till then

lilruffian 11-02-2012 10:18 PM

My aunt bought a colt as a yearling whose testicles had not dropped. Never did. Vet declared he was born with Cryptorchidism (his testicles did not descend into the scrotum) meaning he could not produce sperm but would still potentially display stallion behavior.
I am not saying that yours has the condition, but if they have not dropped by now i would look into getting him checked.
My aunt's colt never displayed any stallion behavior for as long as i knew him, which was until he was 5 years old but he was a little stunted.

petitepyromaniac 11-02-2012 10:21 PM

Right now he's next to a mare, but not in with her. Is that okay?

I would prefer him to drop, since it would be cheaper... I'll do whatever needs to be done though.

He's a little mustang/quarter horse colt. I got him from a girl who had him for six months, and she said the owner before her was his breeder, and he neglected him. He's pretty small, and has already put on some good weight since I got him. I've had him for less than a month. I don't know if any of this matters, but I thought I'd throw it out there incase it's relevent to the situation somehow...

Spotted 11-02-2012 10:23 PM

If they do not drop it costs alot more money to get them removed. very important to get them out. Sometime they will drop and go back several times, give him a little more time or call the vet and ask their opinion.

petitepyromaniac 11-02-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1742183)
My aunt bought a colt as a yearling whose testicles had not dropped. Never did. Vet declared he was born with Cryptorchidism (his testicles did not descend into the scrotum) meaning he could not produce sperm but would still potentially display stallion behavior.
I am not saying that yours has the condition, but if they have not dropped by now i would look into getting him checked.
My aunt's colt never displayed any stallion behavior for as long as i knew him, which was until he was 5 years old but he was a little stunted.

When you say stunted, what do you mean exactly? :shock:

Spotted 11-02-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 1742187)
Right now he's next to a mare, but not in with her. Is that okay?

I would prefer him to drop, since it would be cheaper... I'll do whatever needs to be done though.

He's a little mustang/quarter horse colt. I got him from a girl who had him for six months, and she said the owner before her was his breeder, and he neglected him. He's pretty small, and has already put on some good weight since I got him. I've had him for less than a month. I don't know if any of this matters, but I thought I'd throw it out there incase it's relevent to the situation somehow...

Well if they do drop, he can breed through a fence, I would consider an electric tape. If he was undernurished, then yes his growth can be stunted. All will mature at different rates. Are you able to feel for any little marbles appearing?

lilruffian 11-02-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 1742193)
When you say stunted, what do you mean exactly? :shock:

He only reached about 13.3 hh when both parents were well over 15hh.
Not sure if that is a consistent side effect, though.
Let's say my aunt's hubby was not too happy about the whole matter. He was a grandson of the famous Shining Spark & they bought him over the phone at an auction three provinces away for $8000 as a yearling "stud colt".
He was always turned out with the mares after they discovered his condition & as i said, never displayed stud behavior. Sweetest little horse, though:-)

petitepyromaniac 11-05-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1742204)
If he was undernurished, then yes his growth can be stunted. All will mature at different rates. Are you able to feel for any little marbles appearing?

I checked this morning, and I did feel one "marble"! :D I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I got him, so hopefully the improved nutrition is helping him along. I think I'll give him a little bit longer for the other side before calling the vet. Cross your fingers!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0