The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   hurt hind leg torn tendon (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hurt-hind-leg-torn-tendon-142346/)

clueless in new mex 11-03-2012 12:19 AM

hurt hind leg torn tendon

2 months ago i rescued a 8 year old mare with a puncture wound in her back leg owner was going to shoot they said she had been kicked by another horse several months before and they were unable to pay for a vet. i have taken her 3 times and all he says is that it will take time we have another appointment next week want should i ask doctor. what test do we need (exrays show no broken bones)any advice would be great is there light at the end or am i just making her suffer:-(

DimSum 11-03-2012 06:52 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum :-)
You haven't given us enough information to be able to answer your question about her recovery, so can you post up her age, what has been done for her, her condition now? Walking? Infection? Holding weight? Her attitude?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clueless in new mex (Post 1742286)
what test do we need (exrays show no broken bones)any advice would be great is there light at the end or am i just making her suffer:sad:

Just a few random thoughts here. As far as the question I quoted above the person best to ask that would be your Vet. Don't be afraid to ask the Vet just what you asked here-are we causing her unnecessary pain? If they think it is appropriate to continue treatment, then I'd ask more questions. I would then ask their opinion as in " what do you estimate her outcome will be (like full recovery, limited future work, unrideable but not in pain, in pain and not able to have a good quality of life). Take notes if you have to when you talk to them-if you don't understand something they say ask them to explain it until you do.

clueless in new mex 11-03-2012 07:32 AM

She is 8 years old she puts no wieght on leg on good days walks on toes she is on pain meds 4 pills a day. Eats very little we have her on a hay , oats, and b12 she has food at all times . there in no infection. We spray leg. 2 times a day with cool water to help with swelling vet says in time she will heal may not be completely sound put her out to pasture and forget her ( cant do that ) she is. She is very sweet and even in pain she still wants to please and will do want u ask
Posted via Mobile Device

DimSum 11-03-2012 02:54 PM

It's kind of hard to understand what you are writing-is the Vet saying to euth the horse or to just let her heal and become a pasture pet?

clueless in new mex 11-03-2012 03:03 PM

No vet thinks she will heal just needs time. My concern is that it has been 2 months with no improvement and previous owner said mare has been like this for a year ( with no medical care) I have voiced my consern to my vet
Posted via Mobile Device

DimSum 11-03-2012 03:26 PM

Ah! Okay, I get it now. Well my next step would be to get another Vet in there for a second opinion. That wouldn't hurt her any, and you would have another pair of eyes looking at the problem. Sorry I can't give you a better answer, that's a sticky problem you have :(

clueless in new mex 11-03-2012 04:05 PM

A second vet is a great ideal. Thank you for responding :-)

DimSum 11-03-2012 04:12 PM

You might want to repost this topic in the "Horse Health" section of the forum-there is a bit more traffic there and perhaps you will get more responses. Or you could private message a moderator and ask them to move this thread for you.

Best of luck...