The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   warmblood as a western horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/warmblood-western-horse-14239/)

jazzyrider 09-02-2008 08:59 AM

warmblood as a western horse?

so im just wondering if i would get laughed out of the western world if i wanted to compete on a trakehner???

ive been toying with the idea of training jarred western but i dont know if id be "wasting" his athletic talents on western and if we would even be accepted considering hes no quarter horse lol

what is everyones thoughts on this?

ChestnutEventer 09-02-2008 09:08 AM

well you never know...a warmblood could just show up the quarter horses :D :wink: :P
(even though i have a pure quarter horse, and im soon going to get a quarter horse X warmblood! haha)

give it a go! im sure it will be fun! something different i guess! im all for it :D

kitten_Val 09-02-2008 11:23 AM

I've seen people doing team penning on warmbloods in PA. NICE horses and they did the best job in ring.

FutureVetGirl 09-02-2008 11:51 AM

Why not???

Who cares if someone laughs? People in the English world used to laugh when they saw a paint or an appaloosa jumping or doing hunter... and then they were shocked silent when the horse beat all of them on their "perfect" push-button warmblood ponies... ;)

I've heard of warmbloods doing Western... and they've done great! :lol:

G and K's Mom 09-02-2008 04:07 PM

Why not? Some of the girls at the jumper barn I was at years ago used to poo poo my QH until he cleaned up in a show!

It would be a great change of pace for the horse too. My guy knows what he's suppose to do depending what saddle he has on. LOL

Angel_Leaguer 09-02-2008 04:18 PM

you should give it a go... Ive seen them in the show pen before and they were awsome... If it doesnt work out then you can always go back to hunter/jumping

iridehorses 09-02-2008 05:18 PM

As long as it's not a Breed Only show, I don't see the problem.

jazzyrider 09-02-2008 08:09 PM

thanks guys :)

it got me to thinking the other day when i was riding him that he would possibly be better suited to something like WP other than higher dressage more because of what he like rather than not having the ability to do it. hes a rather slow kinda fella and enjoys a ride better with a more relaxed attitude and a loose rein. and due to his desire to not be going forward he always stops well so i figure we can always do that well ;)

p.s. im moving my own thread to the western riding section ;)

Dvine 09-02-2008 08:32 PM

I'd say go for it...... i've heard of american staddle breds being used to WP horses (never seen it but i've heard of it) so why not =]

Rune 10-11-2008 02:53 PM

My barrel racer/western horse is a Fresian; so I think a SB would be fine. Only thing is (I'm not sure if this is for Standards or not, I just had a Thoroughbred person tell me this) is that the weight of a western saddle might be hard on them because they were built for speed, not carrying weight. So that might be something to look into beforehand.